• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouth ulcer

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
What is the best and quickest working antibiotic for a bunny with a mouth ulcer please

I dont think its possible to say as each case will be different.
Assuming the cause of the ulcer has been identified and treated then I have found abx unnecessary. An anti-inflammatory such as Metacam is usually essential for a few days until the ulcer heals, which it should do as long as the cause has been removed.

Obviously if the Vet feels infection is present then Baytril would probably be the first choice of abx. I have not encountered it myself but I guess oral fungal infections can effect Rabbits (Oral Trush) in which case giving any abx is likely to make the lesion worse or at best significantly delay the healing process.

Last edited:
Hmmm! well I have a bunny who came in and was eating fine, had a health check and nothing untoward was found, he stopped eating so took him straight to Paula who found an ulcer under his tongue but he didn't have any spurs, he did have one long tooth:roll:, of course these bunnies have never seen hay before:roll::roll:

The tooth has been sorted and I have got him on metacam but I was wondering if he should be on antibiotics?

He is still not eating and I am syringing him

My old house bun had an ulcer on her tongue from a molar spur. She had baytril and metacam. It took her longer than normal to eat properly after the dental (I presume because her tongue was sore), but she was fine within a week :)

I just cannot get him to eat no matter what I do or what I try and tempt him with, yet when I put him in the garden he is very bright and runs around

I have tried syringing and tempting him with all sorts of food but he is just not interested in eating at all, it's very frustrating, I am beginning to wonder if there is something else going on

Is he having some Ranitidine too ?
If he is anorexic and on Metcam he is high risk for GA Ulceration.
Hope he feels better soon.

Yes, he is on Ranitidine and Metacam and Panacur but tonight I have managed to get him to eat some soaked Excel Junior and Dwarf pellets, only a few but it's a start, I am wondering if there is more going on.

When I put him out in the garden, he runs around and 'talks' to all the other bunnies, he is very active and alert now, just not eating but he doesn't appear to be ill?

Have you considered getting his kidney function checked out, all the bunnies I have had with kidney failure have developed mouth ulcers :(

Also have you tried Antepsin? I have given it to rabbits before but also used it with great effect on my cat when she had a really bad ulcer on her tongue :)

Have you considered getting his kidney function checked out, all the bunnies I have had with kidney failure have developed mouth ulcers :(

Also have you tried Antepsin? I have given it to rabbits before but also used it with great effect on my cat when she had a really bad ulcer on her tongue :)

Thanks for that, will do, I am in the vets Monday and Tuesday so willl ask, have not tried Antepsin but will ask about that too!

Thanks

Back