• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Bean

Hey All,

New to the Rabbit forums here. Basically on here for a bit of advice. We have had our Bean now for about 8/9 months and we absolutely adore him! We bought him from P@H and he had snuffly nose and weapy eye for quite a while :-(

However, he seems to have got through this now. He has also been neutered. He is often very friendly but sometimes can get extremely grumpy with us and tries to box us and grunts his way round the house. Is there any way around this? Also, tips for getting him used to us picking him up? He doest like it but will let us but then if we pick him up he goes into a grump with us for a day or two.

Also, we are currently looking at getting another female friend for him. Are they easy to bond? I would HATE to bring a friend home for him and then they hate each other? Also, will giving him another friend make him less sociable with us?

Any tips I would really appreciate.

n524075384_2969813_2202.jpg

Just a photo of Bean lounging on the sofa

well firstly hello :wave:

Bean will still be fertile for up to 8wks after his neuter, if that's still relevant? Bunnies generally hate being picked up and would rather you sit on the floor and they can climb on you :) Usually if they are grunty and boxing it's because they're either annoyed by you being in their space, or with mine it's always been excitement over food and they've tried to make me drop the dish quicker that way :) Sometimes they can be grumpy if they're in pain - maybe a bit of tummy ache etc. - what does he eat on a day normally?

:wave:

If you are looking for a friend, you would be far better going to a rescue rather than 'bringing a bunny home for him'. They will match him up with a bunny that's right for him (it's far easier to let them choose their own friend) and can help with bonding! There are lots of rescues on here, where are you located?:)

Hiya,

He was neutered way back in October so should be fine.

He eats Excel Pellets during the day and lots of Hay. He normally gets grunty and boxy when we crawl onto his favourite rug under the table to stroke him. Sometimes I just think he cant be bothered with us. However, he regularly comes and sits on the arm of the sofa as shown in the picture to come and join us. Don't think he is in pain. Any little sign of illness he is straight to the vet. They love him!

However, I really want to get him a mate but am worried about two things...

1) What if they dont get on?
2) What if they both ignore me and my partner completely and just love each other?

yes they are pretty hard to bond - I've given up on that one long ago and have a single boy who hates all females :roll:

We are located in London. Yeah we DEFFO want to go to a rescue. I wont support P@H after how ill Bean was when we brought him home.

How is he going to choose his own? What normally happens?

Well he will be introduced to different rabbits at the rescue, and whichever he seems more suited to (judging by behaviour/bondy language) he should bond with. I've done lots of bondings that way and they are the bunnies that have been able to stay together from that first initial bonding. It doesn't neccessarily have to be 'love at first sight', but if they are generally co-existing that's the best way to start. A rescue will be better experienced at knowing which bunny will be best. :)

I had a very aggressive nethie here once, he was so nasty towards people and I never imagined him being ok with another bunny since he was so territorial. Introduced him to a bunny that cam to me for a friend and he just clicked with her straight away! You may well find that a bunny friend will calm his behaviour.

Thats what we were kind of hoping! so we should take Bean with us to make sure they bond ok?

He obviously knows I am talking about him as he has just come hurtling into the bedroom and jumped on the bed and scared me to death!!!!

The rescue usually keeps your bun for a weekend or so to bond the couple. And if the first attempt doesn't work they try a different girl, with your permission of course.

Rabbits aren't affectionate the way cats and dogs are. Dogs in particular thrive on human affection. With a rabbit you have to earn their friendship with patience, gentleness and respect for their feelings. As a prey animal, rabbits are incredibly paranoid and aware of everything around them. Hence the reason they don't like being picked up. Many folks are put off by a rabbit's aloofness but please don't let that put you off, they are worth it in the long term.
Your wee man is incredibly handsome, a chinchilla bun by the looks. In your first post you mention he had a weepy eye and snuffy nose. Did you take him to a vet to treat this?
One more thing to try and cure the grumps is to make sure he gets plenty of exercise, rabbits run at top speed and jump pretty high and he'll need to work off that excess enegery.
Good luck finding a ladybun, I'm sure all the rescues on here will be able to help you and definetly keep asking for advice, I learn something new each week and I've had buns for years. :D

Hiya - he had a weepy eye and snotty nose when we first got him. He used to sneeze horrible stuff all over the place. He had it about 8 months ago quickly took him to the vet and they put him on antibiotics and it hasn't returned since. Hurrah!

He gets plenty of exercise. From the minute we get home from work he is out and about and running and doing binkis all over the place. Bless him!

Roxy is your typical dutch, naughty, cheeky, mischevious, into everything :D
We also have Lucy here, the spitting image of Roxy, but more mature at 4 years, she is such a gentle girl, calm, quiet, and loves being handled and cuddled. I do bonding from my home if necessary as well.

Yeah Roxy is gorgeous! However, only problem is we wouldnt be looking to get another bun until after our trip to vegas which is in February! Booo - we are finding that lots of places wont reserve rabbits for us.....:(

Hiya - he had a weepy eye and snotty nose when we first got him. He used to sneeze horrible stuff all over the place. He had it about 8 months ago quickly took him to the vet and they put him on antibiotics and it hasn't returned since. Hurrah!

He gets plenty of exercise. From the minute we get home from work he is out and about and running and doing binkis all over the place. Bless him!

Awww thats great news :D Well done getting it sorted so quick.

Back