• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lola in hospital

mimi75

Alpha Buck
the update on my beautiful lola(following from thread''im so worried'')she has been in the vets since sunday and i have been in this evening to speak to them.basically they have exrayed her tummy,chest,spine etc.ruth said she wants mrs harcourt-brown to double check her heart as she thought it may be slightly enlarged,however it sounded healthy and she did say that she was clutching at straws and being extra careful as she cannot find anything else.her spine looks healthy and her tum was clear.they had a good look at her teeth and she said they were pretty much perfect.she is still being syringe fed although when she woke up from the anaesthetic she had a munch on some hay.i don't know if it's more worrying that they can't find what is wrong with her?ruth did say that very occasionally a rabbit can go into stasis for no known reason and still fully recover,although rare.has anyone else experienced this?i really just want my baby home,they are doing everything for her that they can but i am so worried.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about lola. Actually your vet is not correct in saying that it is rare for rabbits to go into stasis for 'no apparent reason'. The majority of stasis cases have no unknown cause. Anything can trigger it off, but stress being the most common denomonator, secondly dental issues. If Lola has had a fright (doesn't matter how little) that could have been enough to set it off.

I wouldn't beat yourself up trying to figure out a cause, sometimes it just happens, and some buns some more pre-disposed to stasis. Sending lots of vibes Lola's way....

Also, just wanted to say, if a heart condition is ruled out, and you are at home all day, it might be a good idea to bring Lola home. I never leave any of mine at the vets during a stasis episode unless I feel that there is something else more untoward going on. once X-rays have been done, there is little difference to the treatment the vets can offer other than all around the clock care. I always treat at home under the vets supervision as I find it can help speed recovery. If you don't feel confident doing this then Lola is in the best place :).

thankyou.she needs all the vibes she can get.i miss her so much.she lives upstairs where she has her own room leading off from our bedroom(ensuit bunny room!!!:shock:)and just going up to bed is so awfull because she would normally be bouncing around on the bed next to us.until now she has always been such a happy(if a little bossy:roll:!)and well girlie.in the 3 years we have had her she has only had one gurgly tum and a sore toe.i'm just terrified that a)she doesn't pull through and b)it happens again.if there is no known cause,how can i prevent it?poor lola.

Awwww I hope she gets better :(

I've had three occurances of stasis with Phoebe that all started with no reason, and I could literally see it happening over a period of ten minutes. She would be fine one minute and then really ill the next, with no gut sounds. I never hospitalised her because I thought she would be worse, and luckily her bouts never lasted longer than 24 hours with treatment. George and Milly have also both had stasis that started for no reason! It does happen. Milly took a couple of days to recover.

My bridge bun Charlie was in stasis for a whole week, and my stupid vet didn't have her on ANY meds :shock: (that was before I was more bunny savvy). I have no idea how she survived because she wasn't eating or pooing for all of that time.

I hope Lola summons the strength to pick up.

mrs harcourt-brown asked us to bring lola home tonight to see if she will eat on her own in the comfort of her own home as she is taking well to being syringe fed but not attempting to eat of her own accord.however,none of us are very hopefull and have another appointment booked for 11.20am tomorrow.mrs h-b said that the only thing we can do then is open her up and see whats going on with her lungs etc.i am convinced that we are going to lose her.it's so painful i can hardly bare it.

Back