• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I buy wood based cat litter online?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
As the title says really.. I'm looking for an online shop where I can buy large bags of wood based cat litter and SS for the rabbits. At the moment I buy the litter from P@H but it is a pain getting all the way out to the retail park. I had this great idea that I could start getting all of my supplies online but I haven't had much luck so far :?

Tracey we can get you large bags of SS from the Pet Station if that's any help, I can always ask them about their litter too. I need to go this week to get some guinea pellets, so could ask for you then if you dont find any elsewhere.

Last edited:
It may be worth trying your local pet shop. Ours will order in any food, most litter etc in 3 days tops and delivers to our door (including local farm hay bales:love:) but they don't advertise this service we just found out by chance.
Otherwise we've always ordered stuff from the hay experts for delivery but then you need a large order to make the postage worth it.
Good luck.
x

Thanks guys :love: I had a look at the feedem website and put in an order for a sack of piggy food, a sack of SS and two sacks of litter (about £50 in total) but the postage and packaging works out really high (because the litter's so heavy) - about £20 :shock: I'm more bothered about the convenience of having things delivered than getting them cheap, but that's a bit too expensive! :lol:

Talking to a local pet shop is a good idea - thanks! :) Lynne, do you happen to know if Pet Station deliver please? I'm trying to get this sorted now so that when the baby arrives in March I've got a means of getting supplies for the furries in without having to trek over to t'other side of Sheffield :D

Not sure if pet station deliver Tracey - but we do;) . They are at Parkgate. Have Pm'd you some details:)

Last edited:
I get my wood based cat litter from Kennelgate or Battleys as I find it cheaper there for large bags. Sometimes I will get it from Wilkinsons if it is an emergency.

Personally I wouldn't use wood pellet litter as I find most have a very strong pine smell and get dusty when wet - not good for small animals who's noses are very close to the ground. Softwood emits phenols too which are believed to stimulate the liver and possibly cause problems, there's lots of doubt about how suitable it is for small animals so I decided to avoid it.
If you're looking to buy litter in bulk you could look into the stuff produced for horses? There's Ecopetbed/Ecobed/SafeTBed etc which is recycled cardboard, hemp bedding like Aubiose (similar to shavings but no phenols), which come in bales.
If you do definately want wood pellets I'd look into getting a company to courier as many bags as you can store, to make the postage worthwhile

Personally I wouldn't use wood pellet litter as I find most have a very strong pine smell and get dusty when wet - not good for small animals who's noses are very close to the ground. Softwood emits phenols too which are believed to stimulate the liver and possibly cause problems, there's lots of doubt about how suitable it is for small animals so I decided to avoid it.

Really? :shock: I knew wood shavings could be a problem, but I thought a lot of people on here used wood based litter for litter trays etc. I'll look into some of the different paper based beddings then too.. I actually don't mind what I end up using, provided that it's absorbent enough to be used in the litter trays and I can buy big bags of it!

Well having owned rats I've heard/read more than on here I think, as rats are especially prone to respiratory problems. Some people don't think there's enough evidence (especially as there's a lack of studies done in the UK rather than American studies) but the way I see it is if there's a doubt, why risk it when there are alternatives? Especially as the alternatives aren't really any more expensive - a bale of Ecopetbed or Aubiose runs at around a fiver and lasts ages. Carriage can be a bit more but no more so than pellet litter which is heavy too. Plus on the rat forum I was on, lots of members from nearby areas would pool together when needed and order a palletful, to get a good price, and occasionally the odd generous member would deliver to those who couldn't pick up for petrol costs.
I think it's any softwood that hasn't been kilndried (as the kiln drying process removes the phenols), and most cat litters don't specify or smell very pine-ish

Back