• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlies nails?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
His nails seem a bit long, how long should their nails be?
Also any advice into cutting them? He's calm enough for me to do it and I wouldn't do it too short, but are normal nail clippers ok?

Charlies are as long as his fur, but hes long haired so I'm not sure...
Last time I asked they said they were fine, but it'd cost me £30+ to go and ask again and they might just say the same

Steph what colour are his nails? If they are white you should be able to see the quick fairly easily, if not get a torch and shine it through the buns nails, this will show you where the quick finishes. We usually cut ours and any boarders a few mm's away from it. Be very careful not to cut the quick though as this can be uncomfortable for your bun and it will bleed profusely, if you dont have any styptic powder you can use cornflour to stop it if it happens. Some small animal nail clippers are the best thing to use. HTH

his nails are white so should be ok for me to trim them a little bit. Will try get some of the pet nail clippers :D

I was wondering this too! How often do indoor buns generally need their nails trimmed? My bunnies dont like to be picked up so I dont have a hope of doing it!

I was wondering this too! How often do indoor buns generally need their nails trimmed? My bunnies dont like to be picked up so I dont have a hope of doing it!

Charlie doesn't like it, but I always play with his feet so he'd get used to them being touched so hopefully he'll let me just cut the tips down a bit while he's laid down.
Don't wanna do it too much till I can get the vets to show me how to do it perfectly so I'll probs ask for that when I next go in with any of the pet :D

Back