• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my bunny lonely?

kezibell

New Kit
Hi,
I'm a new bunny owner, we have a lionhead male called Larry, whose about 6 months old now.
Just wondered if it was too late to introduce another rabbit to him? He is an outdoor rabbit, but he sits in the same spot all day, and I'm not sure if this means he is lonely. He comes into the house in the evening for a cuddle, stroke and a run around. We also have two cats that he likes to be around, but they don't like to be around him!
How can I tell if my rabbit needs a friend?

Bunnies are sociable animals & I think they all need a friend, but especially outdoor buns. :D:D

With the best will in the world, there is only so much time you can spend with an outdoor bunny, and it will be alone for the best part of the day. Alfie and Bubbles will occasionally do their own thing and sit apart but most of the time they're snuggled up together and just look so much happier even though they don't seem to do a lot most of the day. :lol:

I would look up your local rescues and see if they have any suitable lady friends for Larry. :) Is he neutered already? As that would need to be done first. ;)

I think bunnies most deffinitely need a companion unless they detest other buns or are indoor bunnies. This is as they're such sociable animals and really value one another's company.
How big is his hutch?
Does he have a run to go into?
First step into introducing a new buns is to make sure your buns is vaccinated against both VHD and Myxi. Also your little Larry (love the name) is old enough to be neutured.
Why not pop along to a local rescue with Larry so he can pick his new wife-to-be? ;)

Thanks Karen,
Larry's off to the vets tonight for his nails to be trimmed, when I will book him in to be neutered. I'm aware I have to wait 6 weeks before introducing another rabbit after this.
Do you recommend a female friend of a similar age, or would a female baby be okay too?
Thanks.

Thanks Karen,
Larry's off to the vets tonight for his nails to be trimmed, when I will book him in to be neutered. I'm aware I have to wait 6 weeks before introducing another rabbit after this.
Do you recommend a female friend of a similar age, or would a female baby be okay too?
Thanks.

Technically it should be of a similar age but a baby bun would be okay too.
It'd be a lot cheaper and more efficient to get a bun from a rescue as it will be already spayed and vaccinated :thumb:
Plus there are thousands and thousands of rabbits in rescues :(
Yes you're correct a male rabbit will remain fertile for 6-8 weeks after neuturing.

I think either would be fine. ;):) It's important for females to be spayed, and (if you're looking at rescue bunnies) a lot of rescues won't rehome them until this has been done so the chances are that the youngest available ladies will be around Larry's age anyway.

Thanks Spider

Yes, Larry has had the necessary jabs. He's now 6 months old and we are seeing the vet to make arrangements for him to be neutered.
He lives in a two tiered hutch, which has a run attached for the daytime. I think the hutch is plenty big enough for two lionheads, with enough space for them to stay apart if they have a "tiff"!
I just wondered about bunny behavour and how I tell if he needs company during the day?

Back