• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Tooth Abscess

I am a new user and I have posted a question earlier but I haven't had a reply and I think I put it in the wrong area so apologies if this is the second time you are reading this but I am pretty desperate for an answer if anyone can help?

I think my rabbit is suffering from a tooth abscess but my vet cant find it and we've gone down the root of a dental and different types of antibotics etc.

He cant chew hard food so is being syringe fed (3 weeks now). My vet wants to refer him to an expert who has the necessary small dental plates in put in the mouth under sedation so we can try to find the abscess.

One abscess was found under his ear which has healed and I am keeping an eye on it but he still cant eat hard food, just some grated carrott. There is pus coming from his front tooth, he is drowling and now his eyes have started to weep.

Does anyone know of an expert in the Hertfordshire area and also which is the best antibotic to get rid of tooth abscesses.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jayne & Jasper

I'm so sorry, I can't help, but didn't want to just read and run so am bumping the thread for you in the hope somebody sees it and can help. :love:

I'm afraid the vet has run out of ideas which is why I need to refer him. If the abscess burst, we would have more to go on and the tooth could then be removed but as yet it doesn't seem to have happened.

We've tried all sorts to get to the bottom of it but to no avail. Thank you for responding and to the other reader too.

Jayne & Jasper

Has your rabbit had a skull x-ray and was a culture swab taken from the first abcess you located to check it's sensitivity?

You probably need some type of injectable penicillin (my vet usually uses depocillin)...perhaps combined with baytril to cover all bases??

If the abscess doesn't drain into the mouth, then your options re. antobiotics are much wider, and you could perhaps try sugical beads impregnated with a different antibiotic. A c+s test (as suggested by Sooz above) would help your vet decide which antibiotic to use in this circumstance.

Hi,

I think if this were me and I was living in your area, I would be tempted to try Virginia Richardson, who seems a pretty savvy rabbit vet . I know she has written a book on rabbits and is not too far away from you.

Have enclosed a link with her address on and also another vet that comes recommended in the Hertfordshire area.

www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/vets/html

I think the ultimate rabbit expert ( and particularly so regarding dentals and teeth) in the country would be Frances Harcourt-Brown, but she is based in Harrogate, so it depends on how far you can travel etc, but I would think Virginia would definitely be worth trying as she's a lot closer to you.

I think abscesses are treated with more aggressive type antibiotics like penicillin and some of the cephalosporins, but by injection, not orally. I think Bicillin is believed to be the miracle drug for treating abscesses, but sadly doesn't seem to be available here, so, as far as I know, something like Pen-G, I would of thought would of been used.

Really hope you manage to get some help for your bunny and hopefully get rid of the abscess.

Good luck,

Sue

My vet sent off for the sensitivity test of the pus from the abscess under the ear but it can make negative - she said the bacteria was dead indicating it may have been an old injury which has been dormant until now so we had nothing to go on for the antibotics and he has been on flagyl, metacam, baytril and 1 other which was injectable but I cant remember the name. Being on all these over a period of 3 weeks we hoped that would solve the problem but since he has come off them, the pus from the front tooth seems more frequent (though my vet feels this is local) and he hasn't returned to normal feeding.

He had an xray but that didn't show up anything abnormal but the vet feels that the next step is these dental plates which she doesn't have so we need to find someone who has them.

I've been hunting around for answers and found a paper suggesting azithromycin with metronidazole and wondered if anyone has had any experience of these antibotics or an antibotic they've used with great success.

Many thanks for replying.

I've never heard of anyone getting a good response form abx impregnated beads, I thought they were more or less written off as a waste of time?

I asked about them for Mack but Anita said they were pretty futile as well as being a b*gger to make properly and have a habit of falling out. I currently have Mack on injectable Depocillin every 3 days but he is being reassed for further surgery next month and if this goes ahead I will be having a culture taken to check the bacteria isn't penicillin resistant.

ETA: Ceporex is another option, it can be given orally, is considered safer than penicillin type abx and has the same great tissue penetration. Apparently FHB prefers Ceporex to Depocillin.

Hi there,

Sue, could you give me the information of Virginia Richardson and that other vet on this as the link didn't work.

I've heard from Frances Harcourt Brown but I do think it would be too stressful for Jasper to go to Harrogate.

I've not heard from Ceporex but will definitely mention this to my vet. Thank you. :)

Thank you to everyone who is replying.

Jayne & Jasper

My vet sent off for the sensitivity test of the pus from the abscess under the ear but it can make negative - she said the bacteria was dead indicating it may have been an old injury which has been dormant until now so we had nothing to go on for the antibotics

The c+s must be taken from the wall of the abscess...the rest of the abscess always contains 'dead' bacteria

Never mind, I'm sure that pencillin is probably the way to go :)

I've never heard of anyone getting a good response form abx impregnated beads, I thought they were more or less written off as a waste of time?

I've known a couple of people use them with good results. I would guess it all depends on which antibiotic is used? I've heard that they work loose after a few days, and need replacing, but I dont think most antibiotics act longer than a few days anyway.

Faye (aka CottonMather) has used them recently...perhaps ask her?

Hi there,

Sue, could you give me the information of Virginia Richardson and that other vet on this as the link didn't work.

I've heard from Frances Harcourt Brown but I do think it would be too stressful for Jasper to go to Harrogate.

I've not heard from Ceporex but will definitely mention this to my vet. Thank you. :)

Thank you to everyone who is replying.

Jayne & Jasper

Hiya,

Sorry the link didn't work, but have enclosed the addresses and phone numbers for Virginia and the other vet I mentioned.

Virginia Richardson,
Orchard Veterinary Surgery
121a The Hundred
Romsey
Hampshire
SO51 8BZ

Tel: 01794 830288

Nine Lives Vets
The High Street
Redbourn
Herts
AL3 7LW

Tel: 01582 793636

All the best,

Sue

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has replied. I'll be chatting to my vet tonight to talk about the way forward and will discuss all the information I have got from everyone today.

Thank you.

Jayne & Jasper

Could your vet phone Bristol Vet Hospital on Wednesday, when the rabbit clinic takes place, and ask their advice for further treatment on antibiotics etc.

I have found a rabbit dental vet.. Although they are in Scotland, they might be worth contacting to see if they can recommend someone closer to you.

http://www.dentalvets.co.uk/referral/rabbits.html

What treatment has already been given.

Last edited:
Back