• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No girlfriend for my wee Kermit.....ever!

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Just spoke to my vets about getting kermit neutered.....cos he has started getting over amourous with his cushion.
She has said that she feels he is too high risk with his head tilt and breathing problems that he has had.
So he will be a single bun for life.....poor wee lad, ill just have to give him extra love from me (if thats even possible as im obsessed with him already!! haha!)

Last edited:
What where his problems caused by ?

We had a head tilt bunny brought into us she had been that way for 2years.
We treated her with a course of panacur,antibiotics and a steroid before and after the op and she came through fine and has even now become more or less upright and still lives life to the full with her sister in a large hutch and run set up.

What where his problems caused by ?

We had a head tilt bunny brought into us she had been that way for 2years.
We treated her with a course of panacur,antibiotics and a steroid before and after the op and she came through fine and has even now become more or less upright and still lives life to the full with her sister in a large hutch and run set up.

EC related head tilt, he has had steroids when he first got it last april, then a 6 week course of panacur, baytril, stemetil injections. He is now fine in himself and can run about like a nutter, but has some heavy breathing spouts from time to time & still tumbles with the head tilt a bit.
The vet feels that as EC affects the brain and anaesthetic does too then its a much higher risk, what with him having intermittant breathing problems.

Oh I see.Didn't know the reasons behind his problems.

You never know though if he can be stabilized it could be something to look at in the future just not for now.:D

Good luck with the little guy.

mmmm....an idea, i never thought it possible to have an entire male living with a spayed female.
He has been trying to 'go with' his pillow, but he hasnt sprayed at all, the vet told me to try to stop him when he does it, but im not sure if i should.
I suppose i could monitor it and if he stops the pillow loving then i could think about a spayed female.....might be worth a try.
To be honest i think he would be mostly into grooming her, cos thats all he does with me, he would lick me all day of i sat there and let him!

mmmm....an idea, i never thought it possible to have an entire male living with a spayed female.
He has been trying to 'go with' his pillow, but he hasnt sprayed at all, the vet told me to try to stop him when he does it, but im not sure if i should.
I suppose i could monitor it and if he stops the pillow loving then i could think about a spayed female.....might be worth a try.
To be honest i think he would be mostly into grooming her, cos thats all he does with me, he would lick me all day of i sat there and let him!

I think if she is big enough and can look after herself if he gets too much then you will be OK. However waiting for him to cool off his pillow is also a good idea :lol:

I think if she is big enough and can look after herself if he gets too much then you will be OK. However waiting for him to cool off his pillow is also a good idea :lol:

Yeah, or leave the lights on. You don't want loads of cushions laying about the place:lol:

I'm not sure I would neuter him either. The active EC that my bunnies came out with was as a direct result of being spayed - presumably the stress on the body caused the immune system to be lowered and the numbers of spores to multiply. First one bun went down with it, then the other. What with a breathing problem too, I'd definitely leave well alone there, personally.

I've no experience of entire male/spayed female bondings or if it can work.

I'm not sure I would neuter him either. The active EC that my bunnies came out with was as a direct result of being spayed - presumably the stress on the body caused the immune system to be lowered and the numbers of spores to multiply. First one bun went down with it, then the other. What with a breathing problem too, I'd definitely leave well alone there, personally.

I've no experience of entire male/spayed female bondings or if it can work.

My foster Bouncer's EC symptoms happened imediately after neuter. I now routinely panacur before neutering fosters:D

My foster Bouncer's EC symptoms happened imediately after neuter. I now routinely panacur before neutering fosters:D

:thumb:
I really hope that this becomes common practice. I so wish I could turn the clocks back for mine. :(

Poor kermit. I always think how cute he looks when i see your sig :love: Sounds like he loves you lots though.

Poor kermit. I always think how cute he looks when i see your sig :love: Sounds like he loves you lots though.
Aww thanks :)

Hopefully ill get him to lay off the cushion and calm down and maybe get a spayed girly in a few months :)

SarahP & Angie65, wish i had even known about panacur in the first place, thats me getting a bun in ignorance from PAH.
Im not going to get him neutered now, basically its a spayed friend if he calms down, or a bachelors life!
And i know what you mean Angie65, i dont want lots of little baby cushions lying about the floor!

I'm so sorry to read this as i know how much you wanted to get Kermit done. Prehaps if you get a female you could keep them in a seperate cage and then they just meet through bars so at least he would still sort of have the company of another rabbit.

Our little head tilt bunny is being castrated on thursday, he has finished his 6 week course of panacur and there has been no deterioration in his condition since he has been with us. He still weighs less than a kg though.

Thats good news that your bun is getting done.
I couldnt really keep another bun in the cage, as kermit gets the run of the living room, so she would need to get the same as him.
Ill just keep him by himself for now and monitor how he is getting on and hopefully he can have a wife in the future.
I just have these wee pics in my head of him snuggling up to a wee wife.....hope it happens one day, he is only 14months just now, so there is still time.

Thats good news that your bun is getting done.
I couldnt really keep another bun in the cage, as kermit gets the run of the living room, so she would need to get the same as him.
Ill just keep him by himself for now and monitor how he is getting on and hopefully he can have a wife in the future.
I just have these wee pics in my head of him snuggling up to a wee wife.....hope it happens one day, he is only 14months just now, so there is still time.

I'm sure something could be sorted out for him in the future, You have done such wonders with kermit. :D

Back