• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molar spurs

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie and Bubbles have just been for their myxi boosters and the vet has noticed that Bubbles has some very minor molar spurs. :(:( She said that it's not bad enough to be causing her any problems eating yet but will need to be closely watched & has advised getting Bubbles' teeth checked in a month's time to see if they need burring.

Of course, being completely paranoid now :oops::oops: I'm going to be watching her like a hawk but I'm wondering whether it's better to get them burred soon, rather than waiting for a problem to occur and turn her off her food. Or is there a possibilty that they won't get any worse? In which case I would rather hold off because I don't want to put her through a GA if it's not totally necessary. :?

She's about 9 mths old now & has always been a brilliant hay eater, with lovely golden poos so I'm assuming it's probably a genetic problem, rather than diet. ?? Is there anything else I can do to help her in the meantime, apart from stuff her full of hay?

Apologies if this has already been asked a thousand times. :oops: I just did a search for molar spurs and got lots of results, so will work my way through them but it might take a while.

My fudge and Skye both get molers burred every so often! Fudge is normally once a month and skye is every 2-3 months!
They both HATE hay but the vet said as they are only young and still eat bits of hay and loads of veg it must be genetic!

Id wait maybe a few weeks say till the end of jan and just give lots of diff hays and veg!

Only once i havent caught it in time and Fudge had a spur that had cut her tounge! it was horrible as she stopped eating and it took sometime before she was her normal self!

Try and catch before it gets really bad, its not nice seeing them in pain!

Hope that helped:D:wave:

I agree with FudgeMallow.

One of mine goes routinely every 4 weeks for a conscious dental (he is a non-hay eating bunny!), it is best caught before it cuts into tongue or cheek.

Hay and grass are the only things that will help to keep molars down. Twigs etc only help to keep incisors down (I think).

Thank you both. :love: As I said, Bubbles already eats lots of plain old meadow hay but I've also been out today and got some Excel Supa Forage and some Oxbow Timothy hay just to make it a bit more interesting and to try to make sure she continues to eat lots of it.

I will be keeping a very close eye on her and am going to get her checked in a few weeks because the last thing I want is to wait until she's actually in pain before anything is done. :(

My previous bun, Reggie, was a terrible hay eater but he didn't need a dental until he was 6, so I'm a little gutted that my little girl is going to need one so soon. :(

Last edited:
sadly sounds genetic......like my bif......she was cleared by the rescue when we got her but she did need dentals.....had a few under ga...vets always said..they were very small id have left them. but some buns are more sensitive than others bla bla bla.......bif now has awake dentals..which at first i was horrified at as shes such a nervous bun and hates men....from her abused days...
but during the second one shed had by this male vet he noticed that her lwoer jaw goes back wayyy to far..hence the probs.
i listened to a vet at the old practice i used to go to and they said oh leave it..she had ulcerated her tongue by the time shed gone back for several more chekcs and eah time was told nah too small:(
the vet says even now theyre not big spurs but because of the position of her jaw its enough to cause problems..so always double check....insist on it as some buns dont show symptoms badly until theyre ulcertaed tongues chek lesions etc appear....it takes ages to get them back to normal.

sadly any bun can be prone to them but esp lops and dwarfs.....im lucky so far with bertie..ive had him since he was 18 months old and he was living on allen and page pellets fruit veg and loadsa hay...i got him sept 2006 and hes not had a dental prob..yet! neither has bandit who i have had since aug 2007..whos a lionhead or at least looks like one from a rescue.
willow my other frenchie who diedlast oct never had a dental prob either but ive heard of many frenchies who have.....but none from certain stock like where bertie used to be a pet.

its easy to tell when you know youre bun but a new bun..thats tough.
good luck

Thank you for the advice. :love: I'm going to make sure I see the more rabbit savvy vet when I take Bubbles back and will make sure she is checked thoroughly. The vet I saw yesterday isn't the best with buns - she's ok with jabs and a general health check but I wouldn't put my faith in her for anything more than that. :?

Back