• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lolas eaten chocolate!!!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Been changing the bedding upstairs and Lola has been free ranging.

Came downstairs and she has pinched a fudge Quality Street and scoffed it (alongside 2 satsumas, the newspaper and some paperwork.

Will she be OK? What shall I look out for? She is scoffing ehr hay now but I know choc can be very toxic!

Keep an eye out for any change. My Dreama pinched a chocolate but she was ok. Im not sure exactly what can happen to them but im sure someone will tell you.

I was sitting with fudge while she was running crazy and i was eating tablet, i had a piece in my hand and it was too silent, i looked down and there was fudge licking the tablet in my hand :lol::lol::lol:

She also tries to steal my wheet-a-bix and once put her foot in the milk :lol::lol:

They are thiefs:lol:

Bella jumped on the coffee table yesterday and helped herself to an After Eight (yes, very sophisticated in this house).

I then had an aeromint at some point last night and I suddenly had a very determined rabbit on my face trying to get to the choccie.

For some reason she didn't seem quite as impressed with the fresh mint I gave her :roll:

Thanks folks.
I am going to keep her on just hay today so she dont get tummy ache. She is a chocolate freak and has built in radar for anything remotely sugary or in a glittery wrapper (just like Mummy huh)!!!!:D

:lol: god bless her shes so funny!

lily pinched a milk tray once and at half of it but she was fine. shes got a major sweet tooth! x

I know someone whose bunny had to have activated charcoal because of eating chocolate. Watch very carefully for any abnormal behaviour and also watch her eyes too because some things (not sure if chocolate is one though, sorry) can affect the brain, and the neurological damage can show in the eyes. Hopefully she will be ok though :)

My cockatiels managed to eat chocolate before (downside of her being able to fly - she finds it on shelves or anywhere else its hidden)
also one of my cats likes it :| had a bowl of melted chocolate for strawberries and one of the cats tried to eat half of it!

My bunny got a roses orange cream before I could stop him the other day. I monitored him closely and he seemed fine. He also managed to eat a whole lily petal from my flowers on the dining table and a tiny piece of crisp! He is such a pig! We have to watch him really carefully when food is around as he will grab it and run under the sofa where we cant get it off him!

mine ate choc last night -just few soft poo this am

if any food about and honey roaming about she jumps up and tries to steal off the plate. she s worse than my dog

it's a certain amount that would do them damage, stealing a tiny bit doesn't do any long term damage.
Such as 27 pounds(that is probably the wrong amount, but I know its something like that:roll: ) of chocolate eaten at a time would kill a person.

My bunny got a roses orange cream before I could stop him the other day. I monitored him closely and he seemed fine. He also managed to eat a whole lily petal from my flowers on the dining table and a tiny piece of crisp! He is such a pig! We have to watch him really carefully when food is around as he will grab it and run under the sofa where we cant get it off him!

he sounds remarkably like lily! she'll eat anything if she can reach it!

it's a certain amount that would do them damage, stealing a tiny bit doesn't do any long term damage.
Such as 27 pounds(that is probably the wrong amount, but I know its something like that:roll: ) of chocolate eaten at a time would kill a person.
It's 22lbs according to Wikipedia! So not far off :)

My OH left a packet of bourbons lying on the floor the other eve :roll: i didnt know and the buns were out and about. Hazel was happily eating a bourbon and got halfway through before the OH noticed! :oops:
He was absolutely fine, though annoyed i think that he had been caught before he could eat the whole thing! :lol:
Hopefully Lola will be just fine x x x

It's Theobromine which is the toxic ingrediant in chocolate:

What makes chocolate toxic, anyway?
Chocolate is made from the fruit (beans) of the cacao tree. Theobromine, a component of chocolate, is the toxic compound in chocolate. (Caffeine is also present in chocolate, but in much smaller amounts than Theobromine.)

Theobromine's effect on the body:

Central Nervous System (CNS) stimulant
Cardiovascular stimulant
Increase blood pressure (mild)
Nausea and vomiting

There are a few theads on bunnies & chocolate if you search Theobromine.

She seems fine - she is rattling the bars as she is in her cage whilst I vac up!

Little tinker!!

yup doc ate half of a chocy covered biccie on xmas eve while he was sneeking around while i was asleep he was fine, buns have a natural sweet tooth, tiz a nightmare if i havent washed my hands when ive just eaten chocy all me fingers get nibbled:lol:

:oops: willow in her first and last crimbo with us..managed to pull down just over half a box of terrys plain chocs someone had given to my mum and she didnt like em.....they were nasty tasting so i was going to put them in the bin..yes mum gave me just over half a box of chocs:lol:

well by morning i went to feed and water al the furries in the lounge and noticed something on the floor..a half eatn coffee cream:shock:

shed scoffed almost every single choccie bar the flavurs she didnt liekw hish was only half eaten:shock:

rob our vet at the time said she should have died form theobromine poisoning...but she never even got as much as a soft poo from it..mind you she was a heck of a big frenchie!

bertie bif n bandit have been trying to swipe nikis tin of roses my mum got her for crimbo.and salem eats the wrappers..so she cant even hide them in her room for a crafty choccie as salem takes some in his mouth and runs downstairs with them..complete with buns running behind in hot pursuit:lol:

my sis in law had a friend who had her hosue bun for over 11 years and he was allowed a weeny bit of choccie most days..never had other treats never got fat..never got ill.yet other buns have died form eating a weeny bit..odd isnt it......
how did he survive..how the heck did wilow survive.....luck pure luck i guess.
i will never ever know how willow didnt die form half the things she ate through or the edible and lamsot edible things she ate and so i couldnt leave even a loaf of bread on the kitchen counter..if she couldnt qite reach it on her hind legs shed get salem to get up there and knock it down for her.

Back