• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying tiny buns?

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
I have (after thinking they were boys! :oops:) have 2 girly nethies. One is with 2 neutered boys and very happy but Jack is on her own and I think her only chance of a successful bond would be to be spayed. I would like to try to bond her with one of my other groups.

I'm just so nervous of having them done as they are so tiny :?

Has anyone had tiny buns spayed????

xxx

ARC have had lots of buns which were just over 1KG neutered, we have a very experienced vet and she is happy and competent to do this.

Bubbles is a dinky mini lop & was spayed at around 5 mths of age when she weighed just under a kilo. My vet was also very confident and the op itself went really well with no problems. :)

I took my small nethie in to be speyed at 21 weeks. I was a bit concerned because she was small and young but they said they had speyed rabbits smaller than her so not to worry!

She sailed through her op and was back to her normal self within a few days:)

Last edited:
My nethie bramble was just over 1kg when she was spayed. The op went fine but she took a while to start eating again & had to be syringe fed for a couple of days. She recovered very quickly though & is now happily shacked up with Flop. It's always a risk but I think for their future health & mental happiness it's worth it. Just make sure you're confident about the vet.

Spice had to have a pre-opp check for the vet to give her the thumbs up to be speyed. It consisted of him opening the door popping his head round and him goind shes great, no worries :D :D haha and Spice is 0.65kg now! And the spey was in November, so she was slightly smaller i think! hehe Just ask your vet if your unsure :)

Last edited:
Nia was a tiny nethie who weighed just over a kilo on a good day, but she sailed through her op and hardly seemed aware that anything had happened to her..she was eating drinking etc within an hour of coming round from the GA. We wish she'd been well enough to be spayed sooner as by the time we had her done she had advanced uterine cancer. (discovered during the op..she'd shown no symptoms). Unfortunately she died 6 weeks later of neurological problems caused by her ec which got so bad that we took the decision to have her pts. But at least by having the op she was able to spend her last weeks happily bonded to Tim.

Back