• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns have chewed through T&G hutch!

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe it...Ferris and Radar have finally chewed through the wall of their hutch which is made of thick tongue and groove!! They've been chewing at it for ages, but I didn't think they'd actually manage to chew right through :shock: :shock:

I've fixed it up with plywood on the inside and mesh on the outside, so that a fox can't chew at the hole to make it bigger, but it means getting new accomodation for them sooner than I'd hoped. :roll:

I was planning on getting them a playhouse, but I think they'd chew their way out of that too! Perhaps an aviary would be better as long as it's meshed on the inside? :?

Has anybody else's buns done the same?

If you get a playhouse, can you insulate it and then cover it with ply. That way they eat the ply but not the house.

If you get a playhouse, can you insulate it and then cover it with ply. That way they eat the ply but not the house.

I only have a tiny hatchback car, so can't fit large pieces of plywood in it. I suppose I might be able to get it delivered though?

My Frenchies aviary has the weld mesh on the inside and all over the wood :shock: They chew anything even though they have plenty of toys etc ! They do have a huge hutch inside but thats all protected with plasterers batons. I chuck in large apple tree logs to keep them amused too :lol:

I only have a tiny hatchback car, so can't fit large pieces of plywood in it. I suppose I might be able to get it delivered though?

If you know the sizes of the pieces of wood, you could get them cut for you. You dont need to go all the way up the walls, you could stop at 3 foot unless you have shelves inside.

Annoying isn't it? Mine have got loads of willow sticks and toys, but prefer eating the hutch :evil:

Very and I didnt want to go to the expense of buying a larger playhouse to have it destroyed, hence why I got the aviary. In my playhouses I have NIC grids around the bottom section just to protect it.

Back