• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old Bun & Decision..

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
We had some people bringing an old boy bun in today..at least 7 years old
Well he turned up..and is in fact a little black girlie-bun:D
So renamed her Ebony..settled her in hutch..and now have decision to make re speying:?
Alwasy said will do older girls due to risk of cancer..but now I've got one here..I'm worrying!

7 isn't that old really though is it?
thats a real tough one. THere are so many pros and cons.

I guess I'd be tempted not to because surely if she was going to develop cancer she would have done by now and the damage would already be done? or she hasn't and never will?

Sorry not much help x

If she is well in all other respects I would get her done asap. I normally start to worry when they get to 8 years

My Snowdrop (you've met her, she's the white loppy house bun) was spayed at 7 years and was fine :D

Personally I'd get her done if she's in good health - and importantly good body weight.

Some vets have ultrasound equipment, so you could get her scanned if you're worried

Oh bless her!!!

I wanted my Bugsy neutered so I can find him a friend,hes over 7 ,vet said no and suggested I get a neutered girl to go with him instead .

ps ....do we get piccies of Ebony??

I don't know Summer's exact age but she is an old girl, and she was spayed in September. She struggled with post spay recovery (she had some sort of irritation reaction to the internal sutures) but she did fine other than that. I would also go with the 'if she is in good health then it's worth getting her done' club.

I'd want bloods and a chest Xray before proceeding but I do understand that for any Rescue this would have significant implications re funding.

She sounds so lovely and hopefully she'll be absolutely fine :D

Piccies please !!

xx

Its a difficult one, we took in Kizzy last year and she was 8, I asked the same question and followed Jane's advice about x-rays. They came back clear, but it turned out she had a mucometra and pancreatic problems, which only became apparent during the op, she survived the op and seemed to recover well, but then suffered a relapse and we had her PTS about 9 days later.
However, I would probably do the same again, as I feel we gave her every chance and she was just too far gone before we got her.:(

You might find that he pesters a spayed girl. If you do try him with a girl, make sure it's a robust one that can fight off his advances

Yes that was my thinking too....the vet did suggest a large girl rather than a smaller one but for one thing older bunnies are harder to find and for another I'm not at all sure its a good idea putting an un-neutered male with a speyed female at all so poor Bugs may well stay a single bun.

Jill, I have a friend looking for a older female as her neutered boy (7yrs old) lost his partner a few weeks ago and he is pining like mad.

now have decision to make re speying:?
Alwasy said will do older girls due to risk of cancer..but now I've got one here..I'm worrying!

It's a tricky one isn't it - I totally understand why you're hesitant. Does anyone have any info on uterine changes in older buns? My previous vet's opinion was that if they didn't have cancer by that age, then they're probably unlikely to get it from that point on. I don't think that was based on any concrete evidence though.

Yes that was my thinking too....the vet did suggest a large girl rather than a smaller one but for one thing older bunnies are harder to find and for another I'm not at all sure its a good idea putting an un-neutered male with a speyed female at all so poor Bugs may well stay a single bun.

I'd ask for a second opinion if I were you, the op for boys is far less intrusive than for girls and a confident vet should be able to assess him and go ahead if he is fit and well.

Jill I agree with previous opinions, if she is fit and well the benefits to a 7year old female far out weigh the risks (and also at that age you may find something that needs catching too)

Back