• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has She just had a Seizure?

lauraocal

Warren Scout
my little bunny has just had some sort of seizure.
i picked her up to take her outside for a run and she bent like a U shape in my arms with her head reaching towards her bum.
she was all tensed up too.
I put her down on the floor but she was still doing it so i took her to a small enclosed area and my fella brought the other bunny with him and we put them together.
The rabbits seizure stopped and only a slight twitch of her head carried on for a minute or two.
her eyes were wide and her mouth was like stretched.

Unsure if these are related but just incase;

she has had a very wet and waxy ear but the vet said it would clear up and it has.
When we first got her I always said she looked as if she had a stroke.. her right side is different tio her left.the ear problem she had was on the right and that ear is often laid back while the other listens and moves to noise.
her right eye is more sunken then the left as her left eye is more popped out.
Her right side of her face is permanently back. she is a mini lop and lops have squarer mouthes but only the left is square.

I'm going to the vets first thing tomorrow as none are open now.
Any ideas what is wrong with her?

My fella feels I may have startled her but, although she doesnt like being picked up, she has never reacted like this before and i take them out once or twice a day?

Last edited:
I definitely dont think its anything to do with she was startled. To me it does sound like a seizure of some sort though I''ve not alot of knowledge about it. I'm sure there'll be someone along soon that does.
I hope she remains well overnight until you can get her to the vet x

me too.

It was awful to watch, although she is grooming now and seems fine.

The other rabbit seemed to help alot as when i put them together she stopped doing it?

I'm wondering if she maybe has a deep set ear infection which has caused some neurological damage or if she may have an abcess somewhere? My Dwarf Lop who lost her eye to a retrobulbar abcess has a 'droop' on one side of her face, it looks like she has had a stroke and some paralysis but we believe it was related to the abcess and the op to remove it.

She certainly needs medical attention whatever it is, before it happens again or worsens.

Did she have any treatment for her ear?

It sounds like she has had a seizure.How long ago did she have the ear infection and was she on antibiotics?Is it possible to take her temperature?Bugsy my bun started off with an ear infection and never stopped producing excessive amounts of wax he was on all sorts of different meds. I think He got abscess in hid inner ears in the end which burst and caused septicaemia

Last edited:
Hi
no expert (yet!) either, but that does sound like some kind of seizure. If i've understood you correctly, all her facial/head issues are on the right hand side? i does sound like she has had a stroke in the past, an injury or some other neurological issue. The ear problem may have exaccerbated some already present issue or deficit.

I would definately take her to the vet when you can. is she relaxed and normal again now? i'd keep her calm and quiet, in a small cushioned space with nothing she can hurt herself on, preferably dark and warm but not any more than she is used to. and keep her pal with her as long as he is acting normally around her.

ATB i hope it resolves soon

I'm not even sure if she had an ear infection, The vet just said her ear was a little wet and said it would be fine, he never gave her anything at all.
As far as i know it was only causing her a problem for a week or two.

When i first got her she had a little scratch/mark? on her right eye. But that was gone in a few days.
I have already lost one rabbit to abcesses, from the same place as i got this one from.
I think I may be able to take her temp.. although im a little scared to at the minute as she is very wary and i dont want it to happen again.

I think me picking her up definately acted as a trigger though as she was fine right until i stood up with her.

She has been grooming alot although i wouldnt call her completely relaxed seems ok.
I will get a temp reading now but where do i put the thermomitor.. i have a digital one for humans that you put under your armpit?

Hi Hun you put the thermometer up her bottom.I have had a terrible time with my buns they carry the staphylococcus bacteria which has caused abscesses on their paws and in their ears and I'm convinced now this is spread from rabbit to rabbit

I have to go to work now but work from home (luckly) so can keep an eye on her.

Will be back at 9:30ish uk time if any one can help with my temp reading then.

Thank you all for your help.

I believe it's usually not advised to try taking a rectal temperature reading if you havn't been shown the correct way to do it by a vet...

I agree as well - please don't try and take her temperature - you could rupture the inside of her bottom and also if the thermometer isn't designed for that purpose it could break inside her too :shock: There's absolutely no way I'd risk it, it's definitely a job for your vet :)

Ok i didnt take the temp anyway.
too scared to pick her up still.
will i get a decent reading from anywhere else on her? like between her body and a front leg?

i was giving her a head rub and she does seem to feel warmer than usual.
I not even sure if this imagined or not.
If it isnt, this is an emergency isnt it?
I cant take her until tomorrow, no way.

She has been sleeping this last few hours .. well scratching her bed then rolling onto her back then sleeping like usual.

I have separated my two buns for a few hours too as i couldnt watch them properly at work.

I'm just very worried and very concerned for her health right now.

not good.

she is leaning to one side a little and she isnt eating very much at all. She is very wary, I've never seen her like this before.
Vets are at 2:30 today.

The other rabbit has been sitting with her all night and grooming each other.
I know this will sound bad but can i give her some bread to eat. I know she likes it as she has had it off the garden before (birds) and i just want to see her eat.

She has just had another seizure when i picked her up.
Am I touching her in the wrong place?
She is sat with me now making whimpering noises and she looks like she has head tilt.
I thought about getting to vets now but by the time i get there it'll be time for appointment as I'll have to walk.

Does anyone know what is happening when i pick her up? Or anyone heard/experienced anything simular? I need to pick her up and put her in the carrier soon and i am scared she's going to do it again?

she has lost a bit of weight i noticed too

Can you put the carrier on the floor and tempt her in? I'm not sure why it happens when you pick her up but if it is something to do with her ears and balance, being lifted off the ground my upset her balance more which is prompting the seizure?
I really dont know. Thinking of you, I hope you find out more at the vets. Sending lots of vibes x x x

Back