• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding- do I need to buy a dog crate?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I am not going to be bonding my two bunnies for at least 6 weeks as my male is due to be neautered on Tues but wanted some advice so that I am fully ready for when the time comes.

The only room in the house that is neutral is either the bathroom (tiny and wouldnt have enough space for me to sit there for several hours) or the spare bedroom. I want to use the spare room so that I can sleep in there with them untill they are settled so will section off a small area of the room to use. They are currently both in separate NIC set ups and I assuming I wouldnt be able to use any of these to section the area off as then it wont be neutral.

Would a dog crate be best to put them both in or would they be ok if I cornered the area off some other way (not too sure how yet)? If I used a dog crate to bond them in roughly how long would I have to keep them there? I am planning on combining the two sets of NIC cubes to make a large enclosure for them both so I am assuming I would need to disinfected both sets before I put them together (along with the floor mats that I use)?

Sorry for the long post- just want to make sure I am prepared for the bonding process in good time!

I am not going to be bonding my two bunnies for at least 6 weeks as my male is due to be neautered on Tues Good plans on timing.

The only room in the house that is neutral is either the bathroom (tiny and wouldnt have enough space for me to sit there for several hours) or the spare bedroom.
- You can always neutralise other places by giving them a thorough clean. Dilute vinegar : water in a 50: 50 mix is ideal to clean washable floor surfaces and anything else which can be cleaned. When you let the buns have run of the place again all areas will need to have beenneutralised before letting them have access.

I want to use the spare room so that I can sleep in there with them untill they are settled so will section off a small area of the room to use. sounds good idea.

They are currently both in separate NIC set ups and I assuming I wouldnt be able to use any of these to section the area off as then it wont be neutral. You can use these if they are thoroughly cleaned before you use them.

Would a dog crate be best to put them both in or would they be ok if I cornered the area off some other way (not too sure how yet)?
A dog crate can be used but is not essential. A dog crate is not necessarily the best thing to use as access is difficult in some if you need to separate them.

If I used a dog crate to bond them in roughly how long would I have to keep them there?
I bond rabbits most weekends and would definately suggest that wherever you start bonding buns they stay there a minimum of 48 hours, they can remain in that area longer without any problem.

I am planning on combining the two sets of NIC cubes to make a large enclosure for them both so I am assuming I would need to disinfected both sets before I put them together (along with the floor mats that I use)? Discinfecting the area is not essential, the important issue is that the areas are thoroughly cleaned to ensure that all the individual smells of the rabbits are thoroughly cleaned. Mats can be washed if they are washable otherwise hang them out in the fresh air for as long as possible ideally a few days if not longer. You could remove these before you bond and replace with thick cardboard to allow them to loose their smells. Fabreeze could be used as long as they are not reused immediatly.

Thanks for all that advice! Think we will just use the NIC grids to section off an area. They are currently in separate rooms as when we put them side by side male bunny was going crazy to get out and be with her! Am I ok to put them side by side in about 3 weeks time or should I leave them totally separate untill they are ready to bond?

Back