• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

handling nervous buns!

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Hi everyone i was just wondering how often you pick up your buns and give them a good check over (in particular nervous ones that don't like being held!)

I got 3 lovely arc buns about 3 months ago 2 of which hate being handled! They have learned to trust me and eat out of my hand and allow me to stroke them a little while eating but that is it!

I suppose it is a big improvement on when they arrived. one bun in particular Beatrice(aka Felicity)was so incredibly shy! so for her to run up to me for food is great!

I try not to handle them very often, the first time i clipped their nails they freaked and i had to build up their trust again.

Should i just leave them and only handle for health checks/nail clippings or should i be trying to tame them a bit more?

Also I read in a book that buns who have big enclosures tend to be more wild! has anyone found this to be true?

Thanks any advice appreciated!:)

Last edited:
I find the more you handle a bun, the more trusting he becomes. They are showing trust by eating from your hand and allowing to be stroked, I would say the next step would be to gently pick the bun up, only for a few minutes initially, talking all the time and showering him with nose rubs. Attempt to pick him up a few times each day for a few minutes and build it up gradually.

I find the more you handle a bun, the more trusting he becomes. They are showing trust by eating from your hand and allowing to be stroked, I would say the next step would be to gently pick the bun up, only for a few minutes initially, talking all the time and showering him with nose rubs. Attempt to pick him up a few times each day for a few minutes and build it up gradually.

Thanks for the reply victoria! I will give it a go!x:D

I also think thats the best way to go. Also dont feel scared when you pick them up. Let them know you are in charge.

Arnie hated being picked up before he had stasis, since then I beleive he trusts my judgement and now loves being carried about in my arms :shock:

Also if you have buns who freak when nail clipping putting them into a trance might be easier for both, although not usually recc'd it prevents injury.

I also think thats the best way to go. Also dont feel scared when you pick them up. Let them know you are in charge.

Arnie hated being picked up before he had stasis, since then I beleive he trusts my judgement and now loves being carried about in my arms :shock:

Also if you have buns who freak when nail clipping putting them into a trance might be easier for both, although not usually recc'd it prevents injury.

Out of interest ...... how do you put buns in a trance?????

Out of interest ...... how do you put buns in a trance?????

You may of seen pictures of rabbits "looking cute" lying on their backs?

Basically putting a rabbit into a trance involves tipping it onto it's back (preferably somewhere soft like on legs or blanket on the floor) and maybe rubbing it's tummy gently until the rabbit stops moving and trying to get away.

Putting a rabbit into a trance slows their heart rate and keeps them still because they are a prey animal.

It is not advised to do this on a regular basis, however if you have a bun who will not usually allow you or your vet to maintain certain checks i.e nail clipping it may be needed to prevent the rabbit from freaking and kicking out.

It might be worth trying to wrap the said bun in a towel first and take each paw out one at a time but chances are they will still freak out.

If you still aren't confident, take bun to the vets. Chances are if bunny is that bad they will get you to hold in the trance position whilst they clip the nails ;)

Hope that helps.

Vicki

Back