• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NOT a phantom after all

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
Well overnight bluebell who we thought was having a phantom pregnancy gave birth to 7 babies:shock:.Looking back at dates she must have got pregnant by one of her sons:? our buck has been neutered for over 3 months and the only other possibility is one of the sons who left at 13 weeks.We now have 1 REW,3 solid blue and 3 blue steel butterfly french lops so if anyone is after one PLEASE get in touch.

Oh dear. For this litter, to be safe I would say the baby boys must leave mum at 8 weeks. Boys are generally fertile from 12 weeks ao yes it does sound like one of her sons has fathered this litter.
Do you still have all of her previous litter? I guessing that you have separated the bucks from the previous litter from their sisters?
I'm sure you already know but mum will need plenty of food to give her energy to feed this litter seeing as she's had relatively short period since her last. This cold weather too will also make it harder for her to keep weight on.
Good luck with them all!

If the son was with her that long, then it is quite likely that he is the dad. Or your buck has been fertile for longer than usual after his castration. If there are any male babies this time, try and separate them from the mother when they are 10 weeks old. Good luck with the little ones.

They are indoors anyway so thats ok.We have 1 girl left from the last litter my husband rang the vets and they said 17 weeks is too long for our buck to still be fertile.it must have been one of the sons,i am very worried that there may be problems, they all look normal but i guess i wont know untill later on.:?

Oh thats fab that they're indoors. :) I really do hope they're all healthy and you get no health problems with them. x

Hiya, if it's just a one off son/mother mating then you hopefully won't have any problems, it's usually when there are lots of repeat inbreedings. I know from the rat fancy that ofther a son/mother or daughter/father mating is done to find out what recessive genes the rats are carrying, it's called line breeding and isn't a real horrific thing. The problem with inbreeding is that all the recessive genes get a chance to express themselves as the mother and father will be carriers (since the mum will have passed them on to the son) but this is usually after a few generations when it's had a chance to pass on all the nasty recessive genes that cause problems too. Hope that makes sense! But try not to worry too much

Hiya, if it's just a one off son/mother mating then you hopefully won't have any problems, it's usually when there are lots of repeat inbreedings. I know from the rat fancy that ofther a son/mother or daughter/father mating is done to find out what recessive genes the rats are carrying, it's called line breeding and isn't a real horrific thing. The problem with inbreeding is that all the recessive genes get a chance to express themselves as the mother and father will be carriers (since the mum will have passed them on to the son) but this is usually after a few generations when it's had a chance to pass on all the nasty recessive genes that cause problems too. Hope that makes sense! But try not to worry too much

Thank you, I know this post wasn't for me but my brother & sister had babies and after reading posts on here about all this inbreeding worries it made me worried! Not much chance of it happening any further with us, from now onwards - as the brother (dad) has been neutered (sp?) and the three babies were all girls. The second litter (the dad escaped) is to young to tell but they will be sexed and seperated at 8wks without a doubt!
Anyway enough of my waffle but just wanted to say thanks!

the breeder said that french lops should be with their mum for longer than smaller breeds,we have never had this happen ever before,he was 12 1/2 weeks old when he left and we never saw him mount any of them?? i rang the vet and breeder and both said 12 weeks was a little early for this to happen.The only other option is that our bucks castration is not done correctly.

I don't know about french lops (but I'm sure they don't need to stay with the mother for longer :?) but bucks can mate as soon as the testes drop, which can be from 12 weeks. Mating can happen in a split second, so you are not likely to see it.

I don't know about french lops (but I'm sure they don't need to stay with the mother for longer :?) but bucks can mate as soon as the testes drop, which can be from 12 weeks. Mating can happen in a split second, so you are not likely to see it.
Actually can be from 10 weeks:shock:
and this has been pointed out before on many occassions

Actually can be from 10 weeks:shock:
and this has been pointed out before on many occassions

It's siblings that can stay together slightly longer - as the females take marginally longer to reach sexual maturity. Mum is already there, so as soon as the boys get fertile, mum gets pregnant.:cry:

It's siblings that can stay together slightly longer - as the females take marginally longer to reach sexual maturity. Mum is already there, so as soon as the boys get fertile, mum gets pregnant.:cry:
We had an 11 week old girlie who was pregnant by her brother:cry:

Back