• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone ever written to their neighbours...U/D He's safe!

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
After weeks of trying to catch my neighbours about their rabbit (and failing, they always have their children with them). I am considering writing to them about the way they care for their rabbit and asking them to either improve (ie. clean him out once a week and get his teeth checked) or allow me to rehome him for them.

They have got their house up for sale and are planning to move to New Zealand (poor New Zealand), although they have said that they have a 'friend' in mind to take the rabbit when they go.

They are not very approachable face-to-face and ringing the RSPCA is pretty much out of the question (they would know it was me and I'm worried about them trying to harm my two).

Has anyone ever tried similar and did it work?

Thanks

FC x

Last edited:
My neighbours bun had a tooth growing out of its mouth...

I went round and had a chat, turns out they knew and he was booked in that week to go (i went round at weekend).

I checked him other day and yes he has had it done! :D

My neighbours bun had a tooth growing out of its mouth...

I went round and had a chat, turns out they knew and he was booked in that week to go (i went round at weekend).

I checked him other day and yes he has had it done! :D

That's positive:)!

I think the problem with my neighbours is that they have no interest in their rabbit and are ignorant of how to care for him but think the kids 'love him'.

On the odd occasion that I have tried to talk to them about him, they always seem to think that I'm just some mad rabbit lady (which is true) and that normal people don't need to spend any time looking after rabbits.

I doubt a letter would work if they think you are just a 'mad rabbit lady'. They'll probably just either laugh in your face or behind your back.

How soon are they moving? Maybe you could offer to clean the bunny out weekly if it's only going to be for a couple of months. Just say something like you know they're really busy with preparing to move and everything and it would be no trouble for you to pop over and clean the bunny out once a week, save them one less worry. It might be better being diplomatic and friendly like that rather than make suggestions either verbally or in a letter. If you befriend them, they may eventually let you take the rabbit and rehome it.

I doubt a letter would work if they think you are just a 'mad rabbit lady'. They'll probably just either laugh in your face or behind your back.

How soon are they moving? Maybe you could offer to clean the bunny out weekly if it's only going to be for a couple of months. Just say something like you know they're really busy with preparing to move and everything and it would be no trouble for you to pop over and clean the bunny out once a week, save them one less worry. It might be better being diplomatic and friendly like that rather than make suggestions either verbally or in a letter. If you befriend them, they may eventually let you take the rabbit and rehome it.

I like this idea - maybe you can even suggest moving bun's hutch to your garden, save them the worry of having to lock it up etc at night when they've got the stress of packing etc
Have you let them know that you'd definately be interested in the bunny? Maybe you could say that although you know a friend was interested, you'd been on the lookout for another rabbit anyway and thought it may be less stressful on the bun if he just moved nextdoor?

I had a problem where we used to live with the neighbours overgrowing cat population. They started out with two males, then acquired an unspeyed female. When they had kids the cats were moved outside to live, and after a couple of times of kittens appearing and mysteriously disappearing from the garden, I wrote them a really polite note saying I was worried about them all, and asking if I could help in any way, and perhaps the female (she was so skinny, and I had been feeding them extra as I knew they didn't get fed everyday) should see a vet and hinted she needed to be speyed.

Unfortunately, the man caught my hubby in the street a few days later, and told him should have some control over me :shock: and tell me to mind my own business. At this my hubby saw red :evil: saying if we think you're not caring for your pets properly then it is our business, and if you don't do something we will report you to the RSPCA.

Amazingly, a few weeks later the female was speyed :)

told him should have some control over me :shock:

:lol: Obviously your husband should have apologised profusely and dragged you immediately to the nearest ducking stool...

Back to the point, I do think the only way is to "offer" to "help" (or to rehome) which makes the point without being overtly aggressive since they are going to resent any criticism. Best face to face but if writing is the only way, then go for it. Good luck!

Thank you for all the replies.

By some amazing quirk of fate, I spotted the husband out in the garden feeding the rabbit. I collared him (because I thought 'now or never') and said that I had noticed that the rabbit's run was full of poo and that they didn't seem to clean him out. The rest of the conversation continued as follows:

Husband: We do clean him out (blatent lie:evil:) but we haven't had time lately.
Me: Well that's not really an excuse, you shouldn't own an animal if you can't care for it properly.
Husband: You look after your rabbits and we'll look after ours! You can have him if you want!
Me: Seriously? I can rehome him for you.
Husband: Yes, we're moving, so he'll have to go.
Me: I'll talk to some contacts and get back to you.

I'm going to ring up a few friends to see if they can take him. I think the important thing is to get him out of their garden as soon as possible.

Thank you for all the replies.

By some amazing quirk of fate, I spotted the husband out in the garden feeding the rabbit. I collared him (because I thought 'now or never') and said that I had noticed that the rabbit's run was full of poo and that they didn't seem to clean him out. The rest of the conversation continued as follows:

Husband: We do clean him out (blatent lie:evil:) but we haven't had time lately.
Me: Well that's not really an excuse, you shouldn't own an animal if you can't care for it properly.
Husband: You look after your rabbits and we'll look after ours! You can have him if you want!
Me: Seriously? I can rehome him for you.
Husband: Yes, we're moving, so he'll have to go.
Me: I'll talk to some contacts and get back to you.

I'm going to ring up a few friends to see if they can take him. I think the important thing is to get him out of their garden as soon as possible.

Well Done - I would have been over the fence slapping him!:love:

Well Done - I would have been over the fence slapping him!:love:

Thank you. I really dislike my neighbours, they haven't cleaned that poor rabbit out for months, their son squirts him with water and their daughter screams in his face. He's getting on but hopefully I can give one poor rabbit a few good months in a loving home.

Grrr!!!I don;t know how you kept your cool, and I would have taken the rabbit there and then!! Poor thing sat in weeks of it own eeuugghhhh. Then stuffed the bloke in the cage. Mind you I doubt its that big!!

I know my rabbits need cleaning out every day. If I left it a week, I dread to think what it is like.

I'd be tempted to nip round there and ask if he was serious about letting you take the bunny, and if so take him right away before he has time to reconsider.

I'd be tempted to nip round there and ask if he was serious about letting you take the bunny, and if so take him right away before he has time to reconsider.

Yes, I've thought about that. If I can't find a home for him by tuesday, I'm going to go round there and say that I will put him in my garden until I can (well away from my two), hopefully, if I move fast enough he won't have time to reconsider. I'm also going to insist that I either pay a nominal fee to him (with a receipt) or we sign some form of contract so that I have some sort of proof of ownership.

I hope he'll let him go, I think the cold weather and money worries they have may have persuaded them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

hmmm

Well my mums neighbour was talking of getting rabbit. So thought I was helping I wrote a letter to them saying basic things Ie on choosing hutch you want it double the size in height and length of bun fully grown etc They can live up to 14 years You can potty train them. And add our page for tips.I even put love winnie and angel at bottom
She went off it saying I was very offensive to her and my page is offensive www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com? She didnt get a bunny though! It just made me wonder what she had to hide.

I hope they do let you rehome him. Must admit, (but them I am the most impatient person in the world!) I think I'd be over there staright away trying to get him!
Well done for speaking to him. I hope it all turns out well :)

Once again thank you for the replies and sorry for the lack of updates!

I have found a potential home for next door's rabbit! I just need to catch the husband to see if he is still willing to rehome and that his annoying mother has not spirited the rabbit away.

I hardly dare hope that I can rescue him, I'm keeping everything crossed.

I think your hoppybunny website is super - just had a look and really, really like it. Very informative and lovely - well done you

Back