• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice and opionions needed

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
i know its only been a month since my booboo lolly went to rainbow bridge, but the house seems so empty without him.

I know in my heart that i should rehome a rescue bun, but i'm also thinking about a baby bun.

A rescue bun would have been 'jiggered' and have the relevant vaccinations, but i'm worried about their dental health, if i got a baby bun i could monitor and adjust their hay intake and hopefully avoid dental problems, a baby bun would also (i hope) be easier to handle.

but!! on the other hand, i've seen a bun for re- homing, he's called Henri, he wants to be an only , indoor bun and his temperment is described as 'grumpy'!! he's a french lop and i've fallen in love. The problem here is that i'm in lancashire and Henri is in surrey!!

advice please!!

get a bunny run arranged and get him i would say if ure gut instinct keeps taking u back to henri then get him:love:

:wave: Some buns develop dental problems no matter what they eat :cry: With a rescue bun at least there is a chance they will know of any problems and if there is you can monitor the situation. You can get babies from rescues :D

You can never know what you are going to get with any bunny to be honest. Even if you go and get a baby, unless you know exactly where it's come from i.e. parentage and their medical history, you will never know what might happen.

Besides, there are plenty of babies in rescues if you particularly want a baby. I am fostering 6 here at the moment and I know there are more available.

I personally like the older bunnies as their characters have already developed. I don't care about health problems as you can usually manage any issues well if you know what to look for in advance, have a keen eye for an unwell bun and have a bunny savvy vet.

I know which route I would go down, but you should follow your gut instinct about this.

Helen

There'll probably be lots of babies coming into rescue all the time. :)

If you do want a baby baby though I'd advise going to a breeder on whom you do as much research as humanly possible. Pet shop babies are often 'mass produced' and are therefor probably more likely to have dental problems than the average accidental litter than a rescue is more likely to get in. :)

thankyou one and all

:wave:
many thanks to all who replied, in my heart i know i'll end up with a rescue bun,be it a baby or an adult. just want to be mummy to a bunny!!
emily xxx

Bubbles is 9 mths old now and had been in rescue from the age of around 6 weeks (so her dental health has been well looked after pretty much all her life) but she has still recently developed molar spurs, so you can never really be sure. An older rescue bun will have been health checked, so you will know whether they have any existing/previous dental problems. ;)

There are plenty of bunnies of all ages in rescues, so I'm sure you will find one that suits you. :):) Good luck with your search. :love:

oh i can't recommend germans enough! My Teddy is everything I have ever wanted in a bunny and more. I had some bad news today and Teddy came running up to me and gave me lots of kisses, he hasn't left my side all night :) you should so get a german, the rescued germans were pregnant so you could get a baby that is a rescue, or you could provide a lovely forever home for one of the poor mummy buns :)

Where in Lancashire are you? I got Dulcie from Prevent Unwanted Pets and Sue had some gorgeous bunnies waiting for homes. When I went to see Dulcie she had a few lops and lionheads. She often pairs them up and rehomes them in pairs, but she does have single bunnies too.

http://www.preventunwantedpets.co.uk/

It's worth phoning as most of the bunnies aren't on the website.

By the way, I'd think that a rescue rabbit would have had it's teeth checked before rehomed. I know Sue has one or two that she has kept as they have ongoing dental problems, so can't rehome them with a good conscience.

Last edited:
Back