• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why wont they get along?!

jcox

Young Bun
Hi all

I have two rabbits, a boy and a girl. The girl is a contnental giant and the boy is a french lop and they are both neutered. We have tried to bond them a few times now but every time they are together the girl Smudge just tries to bite Sooty the boy every single time. I've tried everyting; neutral territory, small space, don't touch them but I never get far enough becaue Smudge just goes for him straight away. I'd really hate for them to have to be kept separated. Does anyone have any ideas/advice as I'm at my wits end.... Help!!!!

Thanks x

Hi all

I have two rabbits, a boy and a girl. The girl is a contnental giant and the boy is a french lop and they are both neutered. We have tried to bond them a few times now but every time they are together the girl Smudge just tries to bite Sooty the boy every single time. I've tried everyting; neutral territory, small space, don't touch them but I never get far enough becaue Smudge just goes for him straight away. I'd really hate for them to have to be kept separated. Does anyone have any ideas/advice as I'm at my wits end.... Help!!!!

Thanks x

It's sad but true that not all bunnies will bond with a bunny that you choose. Sometimes they choose for themselves.

Have you tried taking them out in a pet carrier for a drive round. The fact that they are in such a confined space usually prevents any fighting. Then bring them back and put them somewhere where neither of them have ever been. Failing that, get someone else to do it who has nerves of steel. Sometimes it's the carers nerves that prevent a bond working.

H!

We've tried the car journey but she didn't even hesitate and went for him straight away!!!:cry:

I think I may need help but if they can't get on I'll be so sad!!!

Some scuffles are normal in a bond its just a case of having the knowledge of when its gone to far. Bunnies need to establish a pecking order so tiffs will in most cases occur. I would contact a local rescue and see if in return for a donation they help you bond your bunnies. They have the knowledge (and more guts) to know when a fight is serious enough to have to split and its a massive weight off your mind:).

Back