• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets @ home adoption ...

Pringle

Warren Veteran
I am so upset...
a few weeks ago i went into my local pets at home and in the adoption centre was a small dutch rabbit. It has on the sign special needs.

Well today i nipped to pets at home to get new nail clippers as i have lost mine and i looked at the adoption bit and this bun is still there... he was put in a smaller pen :cry: (glass tank) munching a DOG FOOD BOWL of pellets :shock:... i asked somebody who worked their what his special needs were and the woman had to ask the man and he said " his teeth keep growing so he has to get them trimmed or go to the vet to get them out" ....:shock: i was upset and shocked as the rabbit had a large bowl of pellets and just a small pile of hay :(...
Hes been their for a while in a small tank/cage :(... im scared he eventualy gets a home where the owners wont care about his teeth......

I just walked out as i was so upset and angry... Why dont pets at home know knowledge on the animals they are selling/rehoming!!

I am so upset...
a few weeks ago i went into my local pets at home and in the adoption centre was a small dutch rabbit. It has on the sign special needs.

Well today i nipped to pets at home to get new nail clippers as i have lost mine and i looked at the adoption bit and this bun is still there... he was put in a smaller pen :cry: (glass tank) munching a DOG FOOD BOWL of pellets :shock:... i asked somebody who worked their what his special needs were and the woman had to ask the man and he said " his teeth keep growing so he has to get them trimmed or go to the vet to get them out" ....:shock: i was upset and shocked as the rabbit had a large bowl of pellets and just a small pile of hay :(...
Hes been their for a while in a small tank/cage :(... im scared he eventualy gets a home where the owners wont care about his teeth......

I just walked out as i was so upset and angry... Why dont pets at home know knowledge on the animals they are selling/rehoming!!

ditto on this..first time today ive been in and looked at the buns in ours for a long time, and realised why i dont usually look.

its so upsetting we can resuce them all :(

Yeah me too I went into one near me the other day with a 10 month old doe who had to be rehomed seperately as she had been fighting with her sister. I didnt stop long enough to ask if she was spayed I might have got a bit stroppy with the answer

I am so upset...

We do.

I urge anyone who sees something that worries them to make sure they voice their concerns.....in a sensible and non aggressive manner.

I'm not being funny, but if you don't say anything in store, yet will come on here and post about how upset and disgusted you are, what good will it do?

Head office are easily contactable.

I hate the adoption section... how do they know they are going to a good home who will look after them properly.. I'm guessing they dont do homechecks :cry:

I hate the adoption section... how do they know they are going to a good home who will look after them properly.. I'm guessing they dont do homechecks :cry:

As a rule we don't do homechecks. On the whole you can get a feel for people.

Having said that, remember that a home check doesn't guarantee a great home.

My local p@h don't do homechecks but the people wanting to adopt get one heck of a grilling. I've seen them refuse to sell to a few people now :D

I rescued this guy and the staff at Nottingham were friendly and helpful http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152874
He is now bonded with my daughters rabbit
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160831

P@H didn't home check me but I contacted Laura (Lspacehopper), I have been checked by a rescue before and I had a long discussion with the vet that treated this rabbit (at P@H's request so I knew what to expect with a dental bunny).

Laura has since seen my set up - hopefully I passed:oops:

Maybe its just my P@H then, they know nothing and the advice they give is all wrong. I will check if he is still their next week and if so will speak about the food etc.

I rescued this guy and the staff at Nottingham were friendly and helpful http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=152874

P@H didn't home check me but I contacted Laura (Lspacehopper), I have been checked by a rescue before and I had a long discussion with the vet that treated this rabbit (at P@H's request so I knew what to expect with a dental bunny).

You certainly did....Angel can vouch for that too lol ;) x

People only learn through education, if you go in any petshop and there isn't hay/water or if guinea pigs are with rabbits then talk to the manager/owner, if you do it calmly they might listen (I have found shouting only gets me dragged out by my o/h). If they don't listen report them to the RSPCA.

I tried to talk and even wrote a letter to acorn pet shop as they dont have hay in with their rabbits and a huge bowl of mixed food and they havent changed :( ...
When i spoke to them they told me they put hay in at night to keep them warm..:roll:

I tried to talk and even wrote a letter to acorn pet shop as they dont have hay in with their rabbits and a huge bowl of mixed food and they havent changed :( ...
When i spoke to them they told me they put hay in at night to keep them warm..:roll:

I'm barred from there!:lol: They were even going to phone the police on me :lol:

As a rule we don't do homechecks. On the whole you can get a feel for people.

Having said that, remember that a home check doesn't guarantee a great home.

Speaking from the point of view of a rescue that DO do homechecks, some fail, which is why you can't trust what people say, or trust how well they act in front of you. They say one thing about accommodation etc, which turns out to be totally different to reality.

Is this from the one at castle retail park? I find this branch not very good at all. many times ive tried talking to them and get a rude response. Alot of the staff dont like animals and refuse to handle them, only a handful will! There is one guy there though, been there a few years and he is brilliant, so helpful.

My local PAH knows us, we have adopted one rabbit from the adoption centre there, no questions asked, as we used to be in there quite regular, Vets etc.

However the another PAH adoption centre, GRILLED me to bits, i was quite nervous. They asked me LOADS of questions, about accomodation, food etc etc.

Then another PAH adoption centre, was quite rude towards us, and spoke to us like we didnt have a clue :roll:

So i think it varies from Store to Store :D :D

I rehomed a hamster from the pets at store adoption in Nottingham and she died of wet tail 7 days after I brought her home. I was devastated and she cost me about £30 in vet treatment that didn't work. They said themselves in the store that they had been handling her loads so no wonder she was stressed.

My local p@h don't do homechecks but the people wanting to adopt get one heck of a grilling. I've seen them refuse to sell to a few people now :D

You're telling me! We got a right grilling when we adopted Snowy from PAH adoption centre. The man who dealt with us really asked lots of detailed questions about where we were going to house him, have him neutered, vaccinated (gave us leaflets and even led us to the instore vet where we booked him in then and there). Asked about our other pets, how we looked after them, which vets they were registered at, were they insured/what to do incase of illness. Told us not to put Snowy outdoors initially due to him being inside/temperature changes could harm him, what food he was fed on. Only then did he go and get the file and take our details for the adoption process.

It was a very indepth questioning process. We were actually very impressed!

Oh, and I was also amused by how he, and other members of staff new so much about my little Snowy's character. Like, how he nibbles on your shoes when running about, and licks you for attention. It seemed quite personal considering it's a large pet shop when all said and done. Snowy was well known to all the staff, and they seemed sad (but glad of course) that he was off to his new home :D

Last edited:
Back