• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck

Ive had 2 one from honeybunnys and one from RSPCA,Basically they will want to see your set up,and prob ask you a few questions reguarding the pet you want to take on, Rspca wanted to see my other animals too but were very pleased:)

Ive had 2 one from honeybunnys and one from RSPCA,Basically they will want to see your set up,and prob ask you a few questions reguarding the pet you want to take on, Rspca wanted to see my other animals too but were very pleased:)

wow loving the zoo xxx

Anyone had a homecheck? If so can you tell me what it involves?

I have been both home checked and now carry out homechecks.

Assuming it is a rescue that is homechecking you, then they will want you to demonstrate how the rabbits will be living when they come to you.

So you will need to have everything set up as if they were already living with you.

So, the accommodation - proper locks on outside hutches/runs - not turnbuttons. Not chicken wire but always weld mesh.

Correct sizes.

Safe - no chance of escape or intruders getting in.

The bedding and food that you will be using - so no shavings in our/my case. Suitable alternative.

Weather protection for hot and cold seasons.

Toys and things for bunnies to do.

You will have to demonstrate your understanding of what keeping a rabbit requires i.e. vet care/vaccinations needed, kinds of illness affecting rabbits, basic care etc. You should be able to show that you have found a rabbit savvy vet and that you can afford emergency treatment if necessary.

You will need to show that you have thought about the future - i.e. change of circumstances not meaning giving your bunnies up, going on holiday and what provisions you have made.

Basically, the homechecker will need to feel confident that you know what having a pair of rabbits entails, and sometimes even if your set up isn't perfect, they will want to be sure that you are happy to do whatever it takes to put the rabbits first.

oh dear..
i get so nervous in these situations :oops:

If you are nervous then it must mean that you care enough to do things right. If there are any recommendations to be made, then so long as you are happy to work with the rescue then there shouldn't be any problems.

Helen :D

I have been both home checked and now carry out homechecks.

Assuming it is a rescue that is homechecking you, then they will want you to demonstrate how the rabbits will be living when they come to you.

So you will need to have everything set up as if they were already living with you.

So, the accommodation - proper locks on outside hutches/runs - not turnbuttons. Not chicken wire but always weld mesh.

Correct sizes.

Safe - no chance of escape or intruders getting in.

The bedding and food that you will be using - so no shavings in our/my case. Suitable alternative.

Weather protection for hot and cold seasons.

Toys and things for bunnies to do.

You will have to demonstrate your understanding of what keeping a rabbit requires i.e. vet care/vaccinations needed, kinds of illness affecting rabbits, basic care etc. You should be able to show that you have found a rabbit savvy vet and that you can afford emergency treatment if necessary.

You will need to show that you have thought about the future - i.e. change of circumstances not meaning giving your bunnies up, going on holiday and what provisions you have made.

Basically, the homechecker will need to feel confident that you know what having a pair of rabbits entails, and sometimes even if your set up isn't perfect, they will want to be sure that you are happy to do whatever it takes to put the rabbits first.

Thanks sounds like lots!!! I've only had bigwig 1 month so to be honest I am still very much learning. hmmmmmmmm:?

If you are nervous then it must mean that you care enough to do things right. If there are any recommendations to be made, then so long as you are happy to work with the rescue then there shouldn't be any problems.

Helen :D

I didnt realise you could be failed on wood shavings :oops: Poppet has them in his toilet because he pees so much!
What else could i use for his toilet?
:oops:

I had one from the RSPCA for the cats, they talked to me about vaccs feeding grooming etc checked where the cats would be sleeping and that we weren't near a main road. They may want to meet the whole family and make sure everyone is happy about the adoption

I also had a long distance one from FatFluffs when I got Dutchie I had a chat with them about rabbit care, provided a vets reference and I emailed pics of their shed/ run combo. I think they were happy I was on here and learning so much new rabbit stuff all the time.

Good luck with your home check dont forget they want you to adopt so if something isnt right I'm sure they will tell you and help you to change it

rofl!

where do you live to be coming to leicster!

I dont live near lol i live in dundee Scotland!!!
I initially approached carrot in arbroath which is 15 minutes away but havent reieved replies. And being the impatient person i am i decided to look around

Back