• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bun advice please...

kate_s

Warren Scout
I'm picking up my new bun tomorrow and am so excited i have one main concern and need some advice. My bun is a dwarf lop house bun and currently lives in an indoor cage, in my opinion the cage is too small i doubt he can stand up fully on his back legs. In his current home he does not have any kind of run but has a lot of free range time. The long term aim is to have him free range like my last bun but i need him to settle in first and he also needs to be neutered.

So what would you all recommend? Leave him as he is for a week or so and then introduce a run etc in a couple of weeks time? Or shall i start off as i mean to go on and just give him more space from day one? We both work full-time so he may be in his cage for a few hours (although i can pop home from work on my lunch).

Get a cage that is big enough for him to stand up in etc. Put a smallish run on 24/7, but keep in this for a couple of weeks to make sure he is litter trained and is settled. Then release him and use the cage/run as a base.

Thanks for that i just thought may be better to leave him in what he is in for a few days at least i dont want to unsettle him too much. I'll have to shop around. cheers

When my daughters rabbit comes to stay here for his holidays I usually get her to bring his soiled litter tray and some used bedding so he has his own smell. Also his toys and bowls that he is used to. He always settles without problems. Good luck with your new bun. Pam

When I first got Teddy I started him off free range in a small room, and gradually increased his free area. I was very lucky in that we didnt have any accidents :)

Is he going to always live indoors? If you can get him a dog crate for a base rather than a cage, that'd be great as it gives far more headroom, plus you can add a little shelf he can jump up onto and link a little run onto for when you're out.
You can find some good ones on ebay like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48-Dog-Puppy-...14&_trkparms=72:1296|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1309

and these runs attach on pretty easy.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rabbit-Guinea...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I think if you can give him a bit of extra spcae from the outset that'd be great but as bluelop says, when you pick him up maybe bring his dirty littler tray etc with him so he has familiar smell around him.
Good luck, cant wait to see piccies!!! :D

Back