• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i'm really worried

mimi75

Alpha Buck
i am currently sat on the floor in my living room with lola and i am so close to tears.to look at her she 'appears' fine.she is hopping around getting up to mischief,but she is eating less and less.i have changed her food after she point blank refused to eat her excell anymore+had her checked out by one of mrs harcourt-browns colleagues but she is now turning her nose up at most things.the vet said that she could'nt find anything specifically wrong with her,although she did question me about her laboured,grunting,snuffling breathing but i said that she always does that when she is stressed+angry+mrs h-b has said thats just a very disgruntled bunny noise.so the vet on duty did'nt feel that was anything to worry about.i know i have to get her back to the vets but i just don't understand what is wrong?she is still eating tiny amounts+her hay.she is having a really bad moult at the moment-does that ever effect their moods?

Dr. Hancourt-Brown is virtually the very best in this world, if you have her colleagues look after your bun, you're really lucky.

Did they put your bun in a deep sedation and do an x-ray around the head? It could be a teeth growing upwards towards the chin at the initial stage, and thus, bothering your bun's diet. <--this is actually mention in her book too w/ an x-ray photo showing the problem

hi,no she just had a look in her mouth+examined her,but couldn't see anything untoward so gave me some metacam to see how we got on,i want to book an appointment with frances herself but she will not be in until tuesday,then i am assuming that will be the next step she will want to take.you see it started with her suddenly refusing to eat her excell pellets,she would only eat some other russel rabbit cereal mix(but i was just happy for her to eat it)and now she is even being picky about that.

i'm going to book her back in on monday or pref tuesday(depending on how she is doing)because i am starting to convince myself that it has to be her teeth.i'm just so worried,especially as i lost my 2 beautiful boys within 3 months last year(not dental related tho)i have only ever experienced dental problems in the late elvie-woo bless her at 9yrs old,which resulted in losing her.lola is only 3,if it is her teeth it doesn't necessarily mean the worst does it?she could still make a good old age couldn't she???i just love her sooo much.

Will she eat her favourite foods? Is she weeing and pooing? Is she drinking at all? Did the refusal to eat start after you changed her food?

I would get a vet to investigate her teeth first (if they haven't already) because it could be the start of teeth troubles.

Lots of vibes

FC x

Will she eat her favourite foods? Is she weeing and pooing? Is she drinking at all? Did the refusal to eat start after you changed her food?

I would get a vet to investigate her teeth first (if they haven't already) because it could be the start of teeth troubles.

Lots of vibes

FC x

hi,she is weeing+pooing as normal,she point blank refused to eat her excell pellets suddenly so then i had to try to coax her to eat a different food,which she did but is even refusing that now.she is still eating hay+picking at things but my husband is taking her in to the vets first thing in the morning.she is a good weight+appears ok but seems a little depressed.thanyou for your help.i appreciate any advice.

No problem.

Have you tried re-introducing the Excel? It still sounds like it could be teeth, which may well be treatable if you have caught them early.

I would try grating carrot and giving tiny bits of shredded greens to see if that encourages her.

i'm going to go grate some carrot now+sit with her for a bit.poor little poppet.the vet looked at her teeth the other day when she first went off her food but did say that it's not very easy to see the back ones so i'm guessing that they will now have to exray them.looking back,even before she went off her food,she has seemed a little depressed for a couple of weeks+i thought she was just having a stroppy spell(which i have to say is not unusual)but my poor little love has maybe been feeling rotten all this time.:(

i'm going to go grate some carrot now+sit with her for a bit.poor little poppet.the vet looked at her teeth the other day when she first went off her food but did say that it's not very easy to see the back ones so i'm guessing that they will now have to exray them.looking back,even before she went off her food,she has seemed a little depressed for a couple of weeks+i thought she was just having a stroppy spell(which i have to say is not unusual)but my poor little love has maybe been feeling rotten all this time.:(

You can't blame yourself, rabbits can be very good at disguising pain (they have to be in the wild). Vet scan use a scope thing with a light on to see the back teeth, it's not always brilliant but it gives them an idea.

Hi there sorry to hear about your little bun not eating. my Buster does much the same as yours when his back teeth need done not eating but runs around the house as usual.You should see a big inprovment once his teeth are done :D

I've got much the same dilemma with Artie at the moment so I think we are in the same very worried state!

My vet could find spurs but didn't think there were enough - I now think they are. I was planning on getting a second opinion from FHB (have seen her before with a different bunny), I'll have to see how he fairs today as to whether to take him locally or for FHB to see him on Tues, which seems long long a wait for me.

I've found with dental bunnies (molar spurs) that hay has always been the first thing they stop eating/last thing the resume after a dental, but that could just be my experience and not the same in every rabbit. Artie has only just started leaving pellets but has eaten less hay for weeks now.

Good luck, I hope you get it resolved soon, it's very stressful, I can vouch for that!

thanks guys,she has refused everything really today apart from a couple of nibbles on a cereal mix+a nbble of brocolli,her poos are getting very very small.do i need to get her into out of hours vets or do you think first thing will be ok?

Having waited when Middy was ill (and then losing her very quickly) I would get her to the vet so they can get her digestive system stimulated.

Best of luck

Can you add some water to her pellets to make them more mushy so she may find them easier to eat.

Teeth do sound suspect. I find that Homer starts to eat his pellets a lot slower when he starts to get a spur so I take him straight away ( he goes every 4 weeks anyway).

Good luck.

Theres alot of teeth suggestions but your vet says there ok so she's probably right, i would try syringe feeding her the soft pellets and see if she readily takes to that.

If her appitite is going completely then it could be something along the digestive track, maybe her stomach if depressing hunger. I have alot of horse knowledge but little 'hands on' experience with rabbits so im trying think of what ive had lectures on, what ive read in books and journals and then what ive seen horse wise incase anything pops up.

Having her body scanned sounds the best option to maybe see her organs (im saying this without knowing if this is possible for rabbits but i presume it is....)

Has anything changed in her life recently? Loss of a partner? New room/bedding/hay.... maybe its a psychological thing?

((sorry im so vague, im trying my best to transfer horse-to-rabbit info.... im gonna get in my vetenary science room of my library tomorrow!)

You need to force feed your bun via syringe. If a bun doesn't eat, he will die.

Force Feeding

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the
blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun. Your bun need the fiber to survive.

i'm so worried;U/D ruhed her in last night...

hi every one.i rushed poor lola into the emergency vets last night-i was not prepared to risk waiting until today.anyway,they exrayed her last night which gave nothing away,so they are repeating that exray today+also sedating her to get a look at her teeth as we obviously need to rule out this.they have my permission to do whatever it takes.she has been pooping today and taking her syringe(+thumping her floor in the vets kennel apparantly!!!)unless i hear anything before hand,i am back tonight with my other little girl moo,for post op check after she had a tiny abcess removed on friday)so we are going to discuss lola's results at the same time.i am very worried,i just want my baby home safe soon.going up to bed+her not being there last night was just awfull.:cry:please send lola lots of good vibes for a speedy recovery.thankyou.x

Back