• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye infection, stupid vet

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
Hi everyone. I have just been to my vets because my rabbit has an eye infection. I would have waited to see how it goes for a bit before taking him to the vets but he is being quite sullen this morning when normally he's a little devil. He was neutered about 4 days ago and had a small amount of dental grinding at the same time. He went back to the vets 2 days ago for a pain killer and antibiotics as he has a post op infection in his scrotum. :oops:

The vet has given me Fucithalmic vicous eye drops for his eye and he has Baytril for his nuts.

The vet had no idea what might be wrong and did not check his mouth or ears. He told me there was nothing you can do for mixi or VHD and that you only see that in the summer, and he did not seem to know about snuffles.:shock:

Harvey is keeping his eye shut, he is slightly tilting his head down to the side with the closed eye and is very sullen. He has not lost any weight, and seems to be eating.

Any ideas? This doesn't sound like a little eye infection to me!???

I would think you do need a 2nd opinion from another vet who is more experienced with rabbits. If you post your approx area someone could recommend one? Is he eating/drinking and pooing?

He is eating drinking and pooing. Maybe I'm expecting too much of the little fella to be back to normal so soon.

Is it possible I might have got some Baytril in his eye? Is it an irritant?

Harvey, is better in himself but has his eye shut still...

Going to go back to the vets tomorrow.

Anyone know if Baytril is an irritant?

Has he had a jab for Myxi?
To be honest, it does sound quite serious and I would go to a different vet if I were you. Whereabouts are you? Perhaps someone could point you in the direction of a good vet in your area.

I go to Park Veterinary Practice in Raynes Park. It is one of the recommended vets which is a member of the house rabbit society. They are usually very good but the saturday vet was useless, and i'll be going into the practice tomorrow to see the rabbit expert and to complain.

There still is no discharge and his eye has gone slightly milky in one place. It looks like he has scratched the lens, not deep but like a graze. The vet should have checked with the green dye. I should have mentioned it but you kind of trust the vet to know what to do!

He is eating and drinking, producing bigger poos than he has since I got him. (a couple of weeks ago).

Has anyone had a similar problem with eye injuries? Would be interesting to hear how they healed. I can't find much through searching the forum.

I'm feeling pretty bad coz he was fine when i got him, now I've put him through an operation which seems to have changed his character and allowed him to hurt himself.

Don't blame yourself for any of this, getting him done was the best thing you could have done to him! It will give him a better life, let him have a nice girl bun friend :D Its a shame the good deed has be tainted by this.

It makes me sad to hear about your vet, i definatly recommend finding another one if possible. Although no experience, it definatly sounds like an eye infection. The head tilt is probably more related to his dental grinding as these area's are directly connected (my tooth killed when i last had ear-ache!!). So maybe just a temporary affect after the opp, if it persists then definatly get it checked out though.

Sadly i really know little about eyes and eye infection, hopefully someone will be on soon :p :D

Ok, just been back to the vets, they were extremely apologetic. They do offer a high standard of care for our long eared little furry friends, which is why i go there and why I am upset about Saturday's vet. The rabbit savvy vet gave him a thorough check this morning, and by using the green dye could see there is actually quite a bad ulcer in his eye. They think it's good that I caught it so early, and prob wasn't a result of in injury as he is currently on antibiotics.

He now has 11 days to get better before I'm supposed to go to NewZealand!! He's currently mating the cat, so I think he must be feeling a bit better in himself, and he's keeping the eye open now too. Here's hoping!

mating the cat... hehe i love it :D

thats great news to hear! glad he is on the mend :D do u have any pics of the cutie?

Back