• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

building a hutch - whats the best and worst parts of your hutches? any tips?

I am going to be building a large hutch onto my run to replace the shed sometime soon.
Can anyone give me any good tips on building hutches? also, what are the things you like most or detest most about hutches you have/have owned previously??

im thinking of doing a double layer of wood on the sides/top/base of the hutch so i can insulate inbetween it ready for next winter, as our shed has been sooo cold this year.
I have learned quite a bit from doing the shed, but theres always more to learn :) I would appreciate your help :)

I will be building a 6ft x 3ft x3ft double hutch, i know that this is smaller than the space they have in the shed, but at least i can keep them warmer, and they never seem to want to be in the shed.. they prefer the run even in this temp :roll:

oh, and is there anything other than lino i can use to cover the interior wood of the hutch to make it easier to clean and also stop wee soaking into the wood? not just the floor but the walls too?
i would imagine there is no kind of paint that is safe for inside a hutch?

I personally don't like hutches without a raised edge to keep bedding in. I get really annoyed with my ryedale hutch because bedding just falls out every time you open the door :roll:

And I prefer hutches where the whole front opens up...I don't have very long arms and struggle to reach around corners if there's only a door at one end.

oh, and is there anything other than lino i can use to cover the interior wood of the hutch to make it easier to clean and also stop wee soaking into the wood? not just the floor but the walls too?
i would imagine there is no kind of paint that is safe for inside a hutch?

Some people paint the inside with emulsion paint. I personally have used exterior varnish on the wooden floors, but haven't used anything on the walls in case they're chewed.

I have a Happy Hutch and I lined the inside walls with plywood & covered it with the cheapo vinyl tiles from the poundshop, same as the floor. The double walls help make it warmer & the tiles mean I can just wipe them down if anybun wees on them. :)

The thing I most detested about my happyhutch was the fact that I had to bend over the run to get to the hutch, so I would suggest building it in a way that means that you can get right to the doors without the run being in the way :)

Also I have a piece of perspex over the mesh part - I just drilled holes to coincide with the hinges and bolts, and put the mesh underneath the hinges/bolts and screwed right through it. This means the perspex is permanently in place keeping the hutch cosy but also letting in light. There is enough of an air gap around it to allow air circulation to stop the damp :)

The thing I most detested about my happyhutch was the fact that I had to bend over the run to get to the hutch

That must be a pain :shock: I set mine up so that the hutch was at the front and I get to the run from the back. ;)

The thing I most detested about my happyhutch was the fact that I had to bend over the run to get to the hutch,

That aspect actually worked quiet well for me (bearing in mind Tinks is the only one to live in it so far - it made it much harder for her to escape if the doors were open as if she did decide to leap out she would only end up in the run!)

Edit to add: I didn't attach the run lid - I would take it off and stand in the run to access the hutch.

That aspect actually worked quiet well for me (bearing in mind Tinks is the only one to live in it so far - it made it much harder for her to escape if the doors were open as if she did decide to leap out she would only end up in the run!)

:lol::lol: Not sure if I should admit that Alfie misjudged the edge once as I was opening the door and fell out of the hutch. :oops: I was mortified :shock: but he landed on his feet, no harm done.

thanks for the responses, some good ideas to think on :)
the hutch is inside a huge 10ft by 6ft enclosed run so no worries of escaping rabbits :)

im hoping to get started soon, can anyone recommend a good wood waterproofer? i used wilkinsons on the shed as i was told it was good, but it didnt really work :(

The thing I most detested about my happyhutch was the fact that I had to bend over the run to get to the hutch, so I would suggest building it in a way that means that you can get right to the doors without the run being in the way :)

I have the same problem. It's annoying isn't it!

Also I have a piece of perspex over the mesh part - I just drilled holes to coincide with the hinges and bolts, and put the mesh underneath the hinges/bolts and screwed right through it. This means the perspex is permanently in place keeping the hutch cosy but also letting in light. There is enough of an air gap around it to allow air circulation to stop the damp :)

Ooooh, that sounds interesting, do you have any pics showing that?

Back