• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

~* Not been on here for 2 yrs! Now looking for 2 new buns :o) *~

Benjiandbarney

Warren Scout
Hi everyone!! Hope you are all well.

I haven't posted on here for a few yrs since the death of my 2 buns Benji & Barney :( I've missed them so much, they have never been replaced but we are thinking of getting some new additions. Well I do, my hubbie isn't too impressed hehehe!! :lol:

Our garden is pretty small for a massive run, I do know that most rescues have procedures and I am worried that they would say our garden is too tiny,
We were thinking of having mainly house rabbits, during the day whilst we are at work they can have access to our bunnyproof kitchen. Then when we are home they can have access to the whole house plus outside on our secure patio.

Please can you tell me if this is a good set up and what your bunny sets ups are like??? They would be roaming free all day and night just not in a run in the garden. Bedtime they can go in their hutch (outside/inside??)

I look forward to hearing your opinions. Really want to give 2 buns a good home and worried as we haven't got massive garden space a rescue would say no to us :(

Thank you! Claire x

Hi there! I hope you dont mind me posting, but i have to gorgeous bunnies looking for a new home with me, they are called Cookie and Treacle, you can see them in the Rabbits In Need section, they are currently outdoorsy bunnies but they both love being inside, cookie sleeps under a radiator if he gets the chance :love:

x

:wave: So sorry to hear you lost Benji & Barney, but it's lovely that you're considering buns again :)

Plenty of people have houserabbits who don't go outdoors - including owners who live in flats - so I wouldn't worry too much about a tiny garden :) Most rescues will be more interested to see what sort of base the buns will have indoors, how much space they will have during the day and how much time they will have free range. If they are going to be inside most of the time I would suggest they are permanent housebunnies (although they could be given some time outside to enjoy the sunshine on a nice warm day) as moving them from inside to outside will confuse their bodies and they won't know how much fur to grow to keep them at the right temperature. The exact requirements will vary from rescue to rescue so it's best to find some you're interested in and contact the rescue to discuss what might be suitable.

It would be lovely if you could consider homing some long-termers like Tommy and Delilah here, who have been in rescue for a whole year just because they're brown :( http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=161853

Or Porsche and Bentley who have been very loved but had to be handed into rescue when the owners moved and couldn't take them with them :( http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160945&highlight=porsche

Thank you for the replies. I am going onto the "Rabbits in Need" Section right now to have a look. I know I am going to be VERY tempted!!! :) I just need some rabbits again as the house is def missing something!

The reason we haven't got buns since is because I am worried when we go away on holidays. We only go away a few times a year but so worried who would look after them and if they would be ok. Obviously you have bunny boarding homes but would they take house rabbits?? x

Yes there are a number of places that will take houserabbits - SarahJane (MissySJ) above runs a small boarding place and takes housebunnies :) Some will keep housebuns in heated sheds so while they're not fully 'indoors' they do have warmth and home comforts...others will let you take your own cage and keep them indoors. It really depends on the place. You may find that you have to drive a reasonable distance to find somewhere suitable though (or you might be lucky and there might be somewhere on your doorstep!)

Back