• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i add another bun?

Should i add another bun to my pair?

• Total voters
i can't decide whether to offer a home to another loving bun, dh has said yes and we have plenty of space (they are in a 6ftx10ft permanent run with a shed)
Dora and Diego are very laid back and bonded soooo easily though im not sure im up to the challenge of bonding a trio :oops: Dora and Diego are both approx 11 months old

i can't help but swing between the decision of offering a loving home to one more bunny in need, or to just leave my two as a happy pair with oodles of space.
If anything happened and i had to split the group, i could still manage two pairs though not ideal

im still very much a bunny novice so i would like the advice of more bunny savvy people such as yourselves.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience the only thing I would say is yes if you have alternative arrangements if the bond does not work and have the money if that bunny becomes sick.

I want everyone to say yes!

But that is for my own personal reasons. I think its a good point that you need to consider the ifs

if it doesn't work

if one gets sick/ if they all get sick at the same time

Do you have enough space/time and money?

if it didnt work then im sure i would most likely build another condo for the second pair :) and vets fees, well im putting away money now just in case

its just that part of me feels so bad seeing so many rabbits needing homes when i have the space, plus there is the selfish reason that i have always wanted a lop (but then i feel bad being specific as so many buns need homes)

i think i will end up holding off unless i see a bun in need, but its whether rescues would allow us to bond to a pair

i say go for it if you have the time, space and money :D

also i just want to say dont take on to much (pet wise) as they can run you into teh ground (when i had 8 rabbits i became depressed!) but i know were all different and some can cope quite well with large numbers :)

x

i say go for it if you have the time, space and money :D

also i just want to say dont take on to much (pet wise) as they can run you into teh ground (when i had 8 rabbits i became depressed!) but i know were all different and some can cope quite well with large numbers :)

x

thanks,
i appreciate your reply and agree. i have to say my rabbits are the easiest and friendliest to look after. dh and i are having a good think about it all to make sure everything is right if/when we go ahead xxx

If you are bonding a group to live outdoors and are currently debating if this is the right thing to do. I would wait until the summer so that you can have time to descide if this is the best thing to do for you, you will also have more daylight hours then to keep an eye on them after they are home and have been bonded.

the only deciding factor is your finance. If they get sick on an average during a 1 yr. period, do you have the $$ to pay for vet bills?

If 1 of them get sick, is the spaces in btwn. all the hutch wide enough that the bacteria won't pass to the other hutches? So you don't have to pay for vet bills on over 1 dozen buns

Back