• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eye U/D back from vets.

My rex Alfie has had a weepy eye since Thursday. At first I though he had just splashed water round his eye (he drinks from a bowl), but yesterday it was the same. I was going to take him to the vet this morning but it has stopped weeping and the fur round his eye is drying up.

Do you know what the problem could be and should he still go to the vets? Don't really want to stress him out with the journey if the vets can't help as the eye has stopped weeping.

Thanks

Last edited:
Was the discharge just watery or was it milky white?
He may just have got a speck of dust/hay in his eye which has now cleared. As long as the discharge has stopped, the conjunctiva of his eye/white of his eye are not red and 'angry' looking I'd just keep a check on it. Should it recur or if he appears uncomfortable (has a slight squint for example) then a trip to the Vets would be a good idea.

xx

Was the discharge just watery or was it milky white?
He may just have got a speck of dust/hay in his eye which has now cleared. As long as the discharge has stopped, the conjunctiva of his eye/white of his eye are not red and 'angry' looking I'd just keep a check on it. Should it recur or if he appears uncomfortable (has a slight squint for example) then a trip to the Vets would be a good idea.

xx

The discharge was just watery, but last night he did have a slight squint.
We have just checked him over again and it is slightly watery again, but it's not red. Do you think we should just keep an eye on it?

He is fine within himself still.

The discharge was just watery, but last night he did have a slight squint.
We have just checked him over again and it is slightly watery again, but it's not red. Do you think we should just keep an eye on it?

He is fine within himself still.

Gah, why do they always do this on a weekend!!

Well personally I would want to be sure that he does not have a scratch on his cornea (from a foreign body which has now cleared) Corneal abrasions can ulcerate and these are tricky to heal. So if he still has symptoms I think I'd get the Vet to take a look at his eye.

xx

Gah, why do they always do this on a weekend!!

Well personally I would want to be sure that he does not have a scratch on his cornea (from a foreign body which has now cleared) Corneal abrasions can ulcerate and these are tricky to heal. So if he still has symptoms I think I'd get the Vet to take a look at his eye.

xx

Luckly my vets is open till 12.30pm today, we have an appointment at 10.50am.

What should I ask her to do? Know it sounds silly but I like to know what to expect them to do before I go in so I know they are doing everything possible :oops:

x

Luckly my vets is open till 12.30pm today, we have an appointment at 10.50am.

What should I ask her to do? Know it sounds silly but I like to know what to expect them to do before I go in so I know they are doing everything possible :oops:

x

To check for a corneal abrasion a green dye is put into the effected eye. Any abrasion will stain green. The dye should drain into the nasolacrimal duct and down the nostril as long as the duct is not blocked.

The Vet may feel that an antibiotic eye treatment is needed. This is usually Tiacil or Fucithalmic

xx

Thanks Jane :D

I just always feel like a paranoid bunny mum when I take him to vets :oops: he normally manages to appear fine when we get there :roll:

We are back from the vets and she used the green dye but said there was no scratch's on his eye.

She has given us some Fucithalmic to use twice a day and we have a check up appointment next Saturday, so fingers crossed he will be OK.

Alfie is now sulking in his cage, bless him.

We are back from the vets and she used the green dye but said there was no scratch's on his eye.

She has given us some Fucithalmic to use twice a day and we have a check up appointment next Saturday, so fingers crossed he will be OK.

Alfie is now sulking in his cage, bless him.

Awwwwww Alfie Elyse says dont be a wuss bruv !! :lol:

Glad he got on OK :D

Back