• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do Allen and Page pellets last?

vicki267

Mama Doe
In terms of use by date?

I've just ordered a sack (20kg) and I didn't realise just how much SS I had left :shock: I only wanted to really trial them on A&P once the SS has gone as it's loads cheaper and higher fibre.

If anyone has recently bought a sack I'd be grateful if you could check the use by for me. I may be mixing the both over quite some time :lol:

As pellets go not very long....mine that I brought before xmas expires next month (though it's virtually empty already :oops:).

As pellets go not very long....mine that I brought before xmas expires next month (though it's virtually empty already :oops:).

Oh gosh, in that case might see if they've actually placed the order yet. The voucher I have is valid til April so might make more sense to order some then or once I've found my next bunny(s).

I only have two buns at the mo so I was expecting to not use the whole 20kg but seems like I'll hardly get through 2kg of it :?

I have all bar two of my bunnies on extra rations for various reasons at the moment so am getting through it very quickly. A 20kg bag normally lasts me 8-10 weeks for 6-8 bunnies.

Having just done a search 8-10 weeks from delivery seems to be the usual expiry date....after then the nutritional content isn't guaranteed by the manufacturers.

I just bought one (delivered Tuesday) and it has 12 weeks to use it.

I've calculated I haven't quite got enough rabbits at the moment! I think I can use about 16 - 18kg in the 12 weeks.

Last edited:
I bought a bag before xmas and it goes out of date next month (cant remember exact date though :? )
Its normally 2 and a half to 3 months!
I have 3 buns (out of 7) on it and i dont get through it all but it still works out cheaper than anything else plus it is higher in fibre and Fudge has had no tummy problems with it :D:D
I have 2 £5 vouchers for it but will only be able to use one as its to be used by the 9th March! they have my name on it but i would be able to buy it and deliver to anyone closer to me? (Fife area)
I pay £9.50 so it would only cost £4.50!!!

I bought some about three weeks ago and it's out of date at the end of Feb.

I can get away with this as I have so many mouths to feed, and actually prefer the idea that it has no preservative type ingredients in it (which is why it has a short shelf life - all natural).

I do mix mine thought with a bit of SS.

I don't think you have to be too rigid with the use by, it may mean a slight loss of nutritional value, but I think it's only as bad as human stuff with sell bys - it's to protect the seller from complaints if the food deteriorates a bit.

I got a free bag of oxbow pellets to try that were out of date but the manufacturers said the nutrients aren't actually affected until 6 months after the use by date :shock:

Fudgemallow where do you get your supplies from?

I hadn't checked the use by date on mine - stupidly assumed it would be a long use product like cat and dog food :oops:

I bought 3 bags before Xmas - 1 breeder and grower, 1 natural and 1 herb. I can use the breeder and grower probably. But the natural (20kg) runs out end March, and herb end Feb (15kg), so no chance. Both are unopened.

Anyone want it? Would have to collect as I have no transport - but happy to give it to a rescue or bunny owner who could use it, rather than it go to waste. I'm near to Rochdale area, Lancashire.

I got a free bag of oxbow pellets to try that were out of date but the manufacturers said the nutrients aren't actually affected until 6 months after the use by date :shock:

Fudgemallow where do you get your supplies from?

I buy my bunny supplies from a farm in Dunfermline call Lochend farm! The woman there is really lovely and their prices are very reasonable! :D:D

That is were I go too :D
They didn't have my megazorb last week though and they still don't have it :( They don't normally stock it so they order it in for me. I think they must have forgot to order it the last time :roll:

That is were I go too :D
They didn't have my megazorb last week though and they still don't have it :( They don't normally stock it so they order it in for me. I think they must have forgot to order it the last time :roll:

I asked if they sell megazorb and said they order it because there is a regular customer that buys it for there rabbits as they have lots! Its prob you they were talking bout!:D I take it you stay near Dunfermline then? :D

I hadn't checked the use by date on mine - stupidly assumed it would be a long use product like cat and dog food :oops:

I bought 3 bags before Xmas - 1 breeder and grower, 1 natural and 1 herb. I can use the breeder and grower probably. But the natural (20kg) runs out end March, and herb end Feb (15kg), so no chance. Both are unopened.

Anyone want it? Would have to collect as I have no transport - but happy to give it to a rescue or bunny owner who could use it, rather than it go to waste. I'm near to Rochdale area, Lancashire.

If a rescue doesnt come forward, would you be willing to post if I pay the postage?

Thanks

If a rescue doesnt come forward, would you be willing to post if I pay the postage?

Thanks

Hi, just started new thread on this in case rescue/anyone nearby wants it. If a rescue doesn't want it then yeah, I guess it could be posted. You'd have to arrange for a courier to collect it from me, which may cost you a lot though as it's 35kg in total!

I'll pm you tomorrow if a rescue doesn't ask for it, and give you my details.

I asked if they sell megazorb and said they order it because there is a regular customer that buys it for there rabbits as they have lots! Its prob you they were talking bout!:D I take it you stay near Dunfermline then? :D

Yes :) I am on the fife rabbit rescue forum with a different username. I replied to your post in the introductions and said about applying to acorn and getting rejected :lol:

I've just ordered a sack (20kg) and I didn't realise just how much SS I had left :shock: I only wanted to really trial them on A&P once the SS has gone as it's loads cheaper and higher fibre.
:lol:

I recently did the same bought a bag of A&P to try my 2 on as its loads cheaper than SS. However neither of my 2 really seem to like it and both prefer the SS. I have now taken one of my buns off of it completely, I was only mixing in a small amount with his SS to try and get him used to it but the bits he did eat didn't seem to agree with his tum and he wouldn't eat all of it anyway.
My other bun is still having it mixed in with SS it has not affected her tum at all. She just doesn't seem to like it and eats all the SS pellets first and just some of the A&P and will only finish off the A&P if she is really hungry, everything else gets eaten first veg and hay :( I guess she doesn't realise she will be helping my purse if I could get her on the A&P only :lol:

Thanks for all the replies. She said she'll call me next week when it's in so I'll give them a quick call in the morning and say if they haven't ordered it yet I'll place the order in a few months.

If not will take enough for my buns and see if anyone wants to pay the postage on whatever is left over.

I dont have many rescues near me. RSPCA are about 10 miles away and if they dont want the rest then I'll happily send the remaining to one or more people on here.

More mouths to feed my end in a few months anyway :roll: Plus the SS wont be quite so much left.

Vicki

Back