• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny losing more weght please help (really worried)

hiya
my rabbit benji has lost even more weight. :( He has lost 0.05kg in 3 weeks. The vet thinks that he lost weight because his medicine for his dental problems had run out she gave us more medicine and wants a urine test done so we will do that on monday or tuesday i asked what the other posibilities are for the weight loss and she said diabetes or kidney problems and that really worried me.
Could he just be losing weight?
All together in the last 2 months he has lost 0.20kg.
Is this a lot for a dwarf lop rabbit?

what is the average weight for a 4 year old dwarf lop rabbit?

Thanks
Kirsty
X

Ok, can we have a few more details.
What does he weigh (so we can tell what proportion of his body weight he has lost)?
What is his current daily diet (pellets, veggies, hay - how much)?
What medicine is he on?
And what teeth problems is he having?

Ta!

he now weighs 2.70kg
his daily diet is hay a bowl of pellets and veg every 2nd day
the medicine he is on is called meloxidyl.
he has always needed his teeth cut thats the dental problems but he is on the medicine for pain.

X

When was his last Dental ?
'Clipping' the teeth is generally not a good idea as this risks damaging the enamel which can lead to tooth root infection and abscesses.

Has he had a thorough Dental under GA including a skull Xray to assess the extent of his Dental Disease?

If he has not had an adequate dose of pain relief that will mean he wont eat much and will loose weight. What dose of Meloxidyl is he on?
Also Meloxidyl is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. These drugs can have the side effect of causing GI ulceration when used longterm. So I'd ask the Vet if your Bun can have an anti-GI Ulcer medication eg Ranitidine (AKA Zantac) to counteract the side effect of the Meloxidyl.

Is he drinking a lot and passing very watery wee ?

If your Vet is concerned about his Kidney function then a blood test would be useful. But from what information you have given here it sounds as though your Bun is just not eating enough to keep his weight up. In this cold weather he will burn up more calories just keeping himself warm. So trying to get his mouth more comfortable would certainly help.

Good luck at the Vets

xx

Last edited:
his last dental was yesterday

The dose of Meloxidyl is 10kg for 3days then every day take it down 1kg and then as soon as he starts dribbling again we have to put the dose back up 1kg

his wee is just normal...

thanks you have kind of put my mind at rest i was really worried last night.

Back