• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits outside in the cold

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I know there's probably been a few cold threads recently but it is really cold here now :shock: It's already -5 and it's not even 7pm :shock: last night it got as low as -12 in areas surrounding me! :(

I read something in the paper today advising people to bring their outside pets in, what do you think, should outside bunnies be out or in?

Mine are in a shed with hay and have a snugglesafe, their water bottle keeps freezing but I have been defrosting it 3 times a day!!! :?

Mine are currently in the kitchen with the radiator off.

Bought them in for a play last night and to brush Minstrel, but it seemed so mean to put them back out. It is absolutely bitter here tonight though.

Its been -12 for a few nights here and mine all seem ok :D

Doesn't stop me worring myself silly about them though as most of them are well over 5 years old.

its -1 in brighton at the mo and ive just tucked mine up in their hutch for the night. they seem fine- ive just put hot water in their bowl and bottle and made sure they have lots of hay to snuggle down into.
i think its better for them to have a constant -All be it cold- temp rather than warm ( at night ) in an unheated room and then out in the cold in the day again. our conservatory which would be the coldest room is still 10 degrees where as outside hasnt risen above 2 degrees all day. ( we are odd as we have a thermometer in most rooms- other half has a bit of an obsession about it!!)

Mine are all 5+ and in spite of the lovely straw and hay packed hutches/playhouses, they are all sitting out in their runs :roll:

It was -1 here at 7pm when I picked my eldest up from football. Metcheck says it could get down to -7 here tonight. Must admit mine have no choice but to stay out. I couldnt accomodate them all indoors!
They all have mountains of straw and hay, they've had loads of greens which should help keep them hydrated for when their water freezes cos no matter what we do with water bowls in the sheds they freeze overnight. Then the two single buns we have at the mo have a snugglsafe each wheras the other pair and group of 5 can hug up together. Oh and tons of blankets and tarpualins over the ones in hutches/runs.
I must admit they do all seem fine in the morning, sprightly and happy for breakfast so i try not to worry to much about them x

Mine are in the shed with plenty of food and hey all I can add is make sure you change their water regularly.I use boiled water topped up with tap water and put it in the shed warm and change it in this weather every four hours

Mine are all 5+ and in spite of the lovely straw and hay packed hutches/playhouses, they are all sitting out in their runs :roll:

Ditto until I bought mine in for the Winter they would always sit outside rain of shine

mine are only 2 1/2 days old and they seem to be handling the cold ok and mum likes to be sat out in the run all day

I have brought Noah in as he is a waif and has no reserves to cope with this degree of cold night after night ( currently -6 here). Barley is also staying in as she had a GA Monday, but the others are out, in the sheds with snugglesafes, extra straw and as with others, I'm checking and replacing their water when it freezes. I do worry about them, but I think it's because this is unusually prolonged cold here.

It may well be that temperatures like this are a regular occurance in the north ( particularly when you factor in the wind chill too) so I am trying to tell myself they will be fine. Trouble is, I'm not really feeling reassured!:lol::lol:

i considered bring mine in the other day when it was -5 but when i went out to the hutch they were both all snuggled up and had nice warm ears so i didnt bother

the hutch is covered in tarpauline and they have a couple of blankets over the front and i do give them a snuggle safe but they never seem to sit on it

Rabbits are very hardly little things there coats grow thick to accomadate them thru the winter still dont stop us worrying about them tho and i was told puttin warm water into there water dishes and bottles makes it freeze up even quicker ? :)

Rabbits are very hardly little things there coats grow thick to accomadate them thru the winter still dont stop us worrying about them tho and i was told puttin warm water into there water dishes and bottles makes it freeze up even quicker ? :)

I have heard that too and I think it was talked about on one of the other cold threads, but mine do seem to like it. It's dropped another 2 degrees in just 44 minutes:shock::shock: now on -8. Brrrrrrrrrr bring on that summer please :lol:

I was sent the piece below from First Alert from the RWAF - it's by Twigs Way who writes in Rabbiting On sometimes. Thought I'd post it here as it has some good advice. I know Twigs is a member here, so I hope it's ok to reproduce it. :? Also apologies if this has been posted already on the forum.

I'm sure you've all read garden historian, Twigs Way's articles in
Rabbiting On, always entertaining and informative. Twigs has compiled
a list of tips on protecting pet rabbits from the cold in this
atrocious weather. Please take note, if you aren't already taking
steps (which I'm sure you all are), and more importantly, please pass
this on to anyone you know who has a rabbit. We've heard a number of
reports about rabbits freezing to death and it's absolutely
devestating, so if you can just help one rabbit then it can make all
the difference.

Here's Twigs' piece:

Some tips for keeping outdoor buns warm that may be useful on First
Alert.

With temperatures still plummeting until at least the weekend, even
the plumpest furriest buns can begin to feel the cold. As the cold
spell drags on and the ground is solid there is no warmth anywhere.

Here are a couple of tips to help your outside bun through the cold
nights:

Inside the hutch, if you have not got a snugglesafe or just want to
add even more warmth try the following:

Heat any old house brick in the oven (NOT microwave!!!) at a very low
heat for a long time (say 100 degrees for an hour or 50 degrees for 2
hours). Take out of the oven carefully (it will be hot!). Wrap in a
teatowel or other rag to stop bun getting too hot!. Put in the hutch
in amongst the hay. You can use several per hutch. The bricks will
give out a gentle warmth for hours. Put next to a water bowl they
will stop the bowl freezing in all but Icelandic conditions.

This is basically what storage radiators were made of for ages – and
what wealthier people who could afford bricks used in the Tudor period
onwards!

Put a traditional hot water bottle full of hot water INSIDE a very
sturdy thick plastic container (large sandwich box or food storage
container is idea. Put in hutch. The storage container will stop the
bun nibbling the hot water bottle and letting the water out!

Use ceramic rather than metal water bowls at present as they are
slower conductors of heat and should freeze less quickly.

Lay a towel under the hay at base of the hutch as extra insulation.

Newspaper layers can also be made thicker. Newspaper is an excellent
insulator as it traps air between the pages.

Very cheap single or double duvets can be currently bought at a range
of supermarket stores (Tescos and Asda for example: singles for £6-7;
doubles £9-10 ).
They are cheap because the outsides are usually a sort of fibremix – a
bit like a loft insulation! However they are still 10.5 or 13 tog .
Put on top of hutch and flop over front if enough left; and if
necessary cover so they do not get wet (at present cold is much more
and issue than wet).
A board will do the trick nicely to cover the duvet and is better than
plastic. Do check in the daytime that the underside of the duvet and
hutch roof are not getting too damp. Take off during the day for a few
hours if this is happening

If you have the hutch inside a mesh roofed run, put some plastic
tarpaulin or a plastic sheet over the run roof just for now. Tarpaulin
can be purchased from various websites and DIY stores for about £8
upwards for a sheet of 9ft by 12ft.

Don’t forget: buns with health problems may need to come in if they
have a low weight at present. Once in they may need to stay in though
so do make the decision carefully. It may be worth bringing a bun in
if they are having low grade persistent health problems outdoors.

Finally: Two buns are better than one at keeping warm!!!!

It was minus 7 on my patio last night and none of the water bowls
froze in the outside hutches so one or more of these things must be
working!!!

Twigs

Mine sit on the cold stone and ignore the haw and straw in the hutch completely. Sunnie and Cloud also prefer to sit on the bare wood of the hutch, rather than on hay. I don't even bother with a snugglesafe, they would not go near it. :roll:

nice ideas, I'll try the bricks in the oven tomorrow

I've just checked on mine, they seem ok, the boys wanted to run around the frosty garden, the girls were more sensible

its so cold outside, my fingers stuck to the metal door of the greenhouse :shock:

I do all that ;) and the rest are you ready :lol: i also got a scottish pure wool heavy blanket from the charity shop which is lovely and thick and warm only cost me a £1, i have a deflated air bed on the top and i have a car seat cover :lol: so i think he's all warm in there ;)

-7 here tonight.

I finished work late, de-iced the car and it began to freeze up again!

My buns seem okay! Have deep straw beds and lots of hay! :love:

Back