• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on me and my bunnies, U/D After vets 9.1.09

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
Well......tonight is Bambi's weigh in to see if treating her for Coccidiosis has helped her to put some weight back on - I really hope she has although I understand for an animal to gain weight in winter isn't so easy.

I sadly lost Bobby bunny on New Year's Eve, again no signs of illness, no weight loss, no behavioural changes but it followed exactly the same pattern as Poppet :cry: I really miss them both so much its really difficult especially as both boys were adored by their respective girlfriends Bambi and Bino :cry:

So on New Years Eve the vet and I decided to treat all bunnies for Coccidiosis as losing another bunny made it even more plausable that it is in fact present. Even though only Bambi has lost weight and there are no other visible symptoms of it I wanted to treat them all anyway.

So today was my last treatment and I am steam cleaning all housing again 1st thing tomorrow morning and have all new bowls, bottles and litter trays etc for piece of mind.

It has been a tough 10 days worrying, cleaning like a maniac I can't remember what it is like to just be able to go and enjoy my bunnies rather than turning everything upside down everyday.

So I have a few questions......................Bino still lives alone after losing Poppet and I really want to bond her with Bessie who lives with Bambi at present....how long should I wait after today to do this?

Also I am going to let the bunnies onto the grass tomorrow for the 1st time as I want them to be able to be bunnies again its such ashame the life they have had for the past 10 days as they have all had to be shut in 24/7 :cry: Is there anybody who would suggest I wait longer and avoid letting them on the grass?

I can't ever imagine me feeling like I am not going to suddenly lose another bunny and I feel that for a long time I am going to be a bit obsessive about all that has happened so just want to do everything right.....I also hope that now treatment has been done I should not have a reacourrance of all of this even though I know once they have had it they are then treated and immune....but say if Donkey and Orchid haven't been exposed to it (they have both been unaffected and I always feed them 1st just to make sure I don't cross contaminate) then they could get it again couldn't they and I will never be rid of it.

Okay I will stop going on now I am just so worried and my stomach is in a constant knot when I think about it all :roll:

Last edited:
Oh no, not Bobby. :cry::cry: I'm so sorry Carys. :cry: I'm sorry I have no useful advice for you but I'm keeping everything crossed that Bambi and your other bunnies will be ok. It's bound to be a huge worry for you, esepcially the not knowing for sure what the cause is, and hopefully you will get lots of helpful advice so you know that you are doing everything you possibly can. Sending huge hugs. xx

No useful advice as my brain is all over the place today so I don't want to say something stupid.
Just to say I feel for you and I hope you get it all sorted and it settles down soon xx

I have no advice either but just wanted to send you and your buns (((hugs))

What and awful time for you all :( Sorry for the loss of your other 2 :( xx Crossing fingers for you all as good luck needs sending your way. You have devoted so much into this and i know it must seem awful not being able to spend time with them and constant cleaning etc.. having them cooped up.

Well done for all your commitment and love and care put into them xx

I'm really sorry for what you've been thorugh hun xx i have no advice other than to look up coccidiosis (sp) for causes, where they could have got it from etc xxx

Thanks everyone.

Phill I have looked it up and read so many articles, it could have come in on hay which a wild bunny with coccs has been in contact with, it can be on veg, other bunnies which I find it hard to believe with mine as it just doesn't fit in with timescales etc....

I just need to try to look forward now it just very hard when there are no signs for me to look for....

I am really hoping Bambi has put some weight on too :love:

So sorry for your loss and hopefully this will be the end of your awful time.

Hugs to you Carys.

You have had such a rotten time :cry:
I would have a chat with your Vet re bonding Bino with Bessie and Bambie. My only concern is that 'bonding stress' may set Bambie back when she needs to be building herself up.

I know Coccidia can remain dormant in the soil for a very long time and it is extremely resistant to environmental conditions. So allowing them out onto a previously used grass area is something I would also talk with the Vet about.
Concrete can be Jeyes fluid cleaned, rinsed and allowed to dry. But soil is a different matter.

You have done everything possible for your Buns and I hope that this horrible situation is now behind you

:wave:

Okay well..........it was Bessie I wanted to bond with Bino so Bambi wont be onvolved in bonding especially as I expect Bino to be feisty as ever it wouoldn't be good for Bambi - however if it isn't right I will just wait I am in no rush I just dont want Bino to feel lonely and I know she is missing bunny companionship.

Now with the grass.........Bambi and co have not been on the grass since October as there were 2 bonding sessions and then I had to keep them confined to ensure there were not going to be any fights if let into a bigger area............also............then there was the suspected coccidiosis so then they still had to be confined just as I felt they were bonded enough to be let out.............so they haven't physically been out on the grass............I will ask my vet see what she thinks but if they cant go on grass I can only assemble my run on the patio and that isn't enough space for a good run for them I only have 8 zooplus panels :cry:

Oooh and also in the FHb book she says that once they have been treated and recovered from a strain of coccidiosis they are then immune from that particular type.........................I suppose my worry is if they haven't all had it then they could contract it again somehow.........if I erect the pen can they all use the same area then on the patio? Or do I need to move the pen around between each bunnies going in?

Oooh and also in the FHb book she says that once they have been treated and recovered from a strain of coccidiosis they are then immune from that particular type.........................I suppose my worry is if they haven't all had it then they could contract it again somehow.........if I erect the pen can they all use the same area then on the patio? Or do I need to move the pen around between each bunnies going in?

Well I think I would want to either move the run between each groups use of it or steam clean/Jeyes the concrete. But I am not basing this on actual scientific knowledge about Coccidia control, more on my basic neurosis :oops:

Hopefully your Vet will be able to advise you as to what is the best thing to do.

Good luck for Bambi's weight check :D

Awww Carys im so sorry xxx I know a few years ago all the rabbits in the Rspca in leics died of coccidiosis it was said it was because they had gone on the grass where the dogs had been pooing? No idea how true it is but the rabbits dont go on that grass anymore
Hope all your others will be ok xx

Oh Carys, I am so, so, SO sorry that you are having to go through this. :cry: :cry: :cry: I am keeping all of my fingers and toes crossed that Bambi has gained some weight, and that no more of your bunnies come down ill. ::hugs:: xxxxx

Carys we are all thinking of you and Im so sorry about Bobby. As I said on the phone Im always here if you want a chat or anything :love:

Thank you everyone.....

Bambi still weighs the same as she did before xmas so although she hasn't lost I am not happy that she hasn't gained. I suppose if her liver is damaged there is a good chance it is permanent damage so she will be a skinny bunny now for good......she eats so much though and is so happy within herself so I will just have to monitor her.

I have decided not to let the bunnies onto the grass again now :( My vet said that as my buns haven't been on the grass since October they would be fine however nothing is certain.

I think I will wait until summer now as by then it will have been a long time and hopefully I will be putting all of this behind me.

Thank you all for your support I wouldn't have gotten through it all without you all thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back