• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail biting...anyone experienced this in rabbits?

Clicquot

Warren Scout
Hi!

A fex weeks ago I discovered that Clicquot had nomore "moustache" ... Merlot had eaten alle of it or at leats chewed on them...

A few days afterwards when Clicquot was lying quite relaxed ,he went and started biting on the nails of her behind legs...

An hour ago, he started biting his own nails while I was massaging his tummie...

I have never seen this in rabbits and I have absolutely no idea what this could mean....

Anyone experienced this? Suggestions are welcome!

Obv nails dont need trimmed it sounds like bored bunny, or maybes a deficiency in something make sure plenty of fibre and toys to play with and see what happens next if gets real bad ask vet for advise. Obv you dont want him biting down to the quick and bleeding.

I had a rabbit with neurological problems who used to pull out her own nails, but I don't really know why a healthy bun would do it.

have to say ive seen biggles do this a few times ive only ever had to trim his claws twice in his 5 years so far, he has plenty of toys and a wife to play with and seems absolutly fine, hes the only bun ive ever seen do it though, tiz a weird one

Merlot is a bit weird too... I always say he was short of oxygen before birth...:oops:

They have plenty of toys, eachothers company and have the living room,kitchen and hall to run and play in, so he shouldn't be annoyed...

I will go to the vets, but that won't be too much help I am afraid... I know people who know lots more about rabbits then any vet I know... Somebody did suggest not enough proteïn...but that seems so strange... They get SS (about 70 gr a day for about 7 kg of rabbit in total) They get 3 different types of had, dried dandelion and 3 mixes of dried herbs, furthermore they each eat the amount of vergetables on the picture. (I get this delieverd 2 times a week) It consist of herbs (basil ,thymian, dille,persil) and some other vegetables. Their diet should be fine... I think they are rather spoiled.
IMGP2275.jpg

This is a picture I took yesterday, you see can see the differnce quite well...no "moustache" for Clicquot
IMGP2474.jpg

He is not biting as in removing bits, he is more like scratching them, they both have this lines on their nails now...

Neurological...hm... I think that would be worth examinating... since he is so strange and exstremely stupid in my opinion ,it would not surprise me...
What exactly was wrong with your rabbit abbymarysmokey?

Neurological...hm... I think that would be worth examinating... since he is so strange and exstremely stupid in my opinion ,it would not surprise me...
What exactly was wrong with your rabbit abbymarysmokey?

I'm not sure exactly. I suspect some sort of brain damage. She had regular seizures...which involved her running head first into objects, and sometimes lying on her back twitching with her legs in the air.

She was treated for EC, but I don't think it was that because she didn't display any of the conventional symptoms of EC

Back