• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just putting out feelers...Cornish bun keepers?

wabbit!

Warren Scout
I have two 3 yr old does living together. I am not in a position to take on any more buns if anything were to happen to one of my buns, but I don't want to have a lone bunny either.

I know they are still young, but Honey has been on death's door a few times already, so I am aware of how fragile life is, and therefore want to be prepared should the worst happen - hence this thread.

Would it be best to try and rehome the remaining doe if one were to pass away, so she could have company, or would she be happier in her own environment even if it is alone? (My gut instinct would be that she would prefer the company, especially if she was still young, but I could be completely wrong!)

If re-homing were the better option, does anyone know of any potential homes in Cornwall I could bear in mind?

I don't like thinking abut it, but I guess it is wiser to think about it now when I am more rational and less emotional, than when it happens!:(

If she is very close to you, likes human attention (and gets plenty of it), has toys, ect...I don't see why she wouldn't mind being on her own. She would probably like company but if she is settled with you, she could be fine. And you could possible take on a compainion later on when it became possible for you.

The trouble is she isn't a house bun, she lives out in the rabbit shed. So she wouldn't get as much attention as she deserves, and that worries me.

At the moment I have also got rats. If the rats weren't here when the situation arose, then the remaining bun could come in here, but whilst the rats are here I don't have room.

From your first post, does this mean that should Honey die, you don't want to get another bun to bond with the remaining rabbit?

Yes, as I am ill and not in a position to take on anymore animals, physically or finacially.

Honey alone in the 1st 6 months of last year cost me £700 at the vets, and that isn't including the normal worming, vaccines etc, plus the rats have been in the vets practically every week!

I don't feel I would be able to afford to take on anymore when these have passed. And I don't have the health to give them as much as I would like attention wise. So I think it would be the wisest choice not to take on anymore.

I would be prepared to help out financially for the remaining rabbit if someone were to take her in.

It might be a totally wasted thought, but I would rather think ahead and know what my choices were.:) If the worst came to the worst then I would have to take in a rescue to bond with the remaining one, if I couldn't find a new home, as I don't think it's fair to keep her alone.

Back