• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Omg Freecycle Ad

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Sorry I am shocked at this! I want to type a suitable reply however can't think of anything 'polite'!

here is the wanted ad:

hi
my seven year old is breeding rabbits, and were going to need some more
hutches,
if any one has unused hutches about we collect and give them a good home
many thanks

I would tell them you have one and can deliver, find out their address and report them to the RSPCA!

Oh FFS what is wrong with some people!!!! Do some parents really have no ideas on what is responsible or not?????? :evil::evil::evil::evil: Those poor bunnies that they've got :cry:

heres the email i would send

hello its good you want to seperate up the babies and mum and dad after thier litter as you must be aware mum can be impregnated immediatly afterwards(the birth) i dont know if you have seen but there are hundreds of rabbits in rescues(just see rabbit rehome for proof) and it seems some breeders are breeding irresponsibly... now im sure you and your son(as at age 7 you must have to do all the work as we all know how easily kids get bored) arent one of them but.

just thought id offer some advice iv learnt along the way....
rabbits have to be in 6x2x2ft hutches with a minimum run size of 6x6ft which sounds big but as they need as much excersise of a small dog(and you can be prosecuted for not keeping rabbtis correctly due to new animal welfare act)
a good diet will help the babies grow strong and to help them suffer less from problems when they grow up they need to be with mum until at least 8 weeeks but not after 12weeks the boys in case they cause more litters(and inbreeding is very bad)
also to veryfy the genetics(and save yourself hundreds of pounds in vet bills) you need to trace back at least 4 genreeations to get good bunnies.

hoemchecking these days seems to get harder i know as so many people want to give them away cheap and dont think about the conditions they are going to a fact sheet from the rwa is a good thing to give out as it has al lthe info on the two vaccinations they need and worming to protect from ec and housing and food(pellets of higher than 16% fibre and hay80% with fresh veg)

also thought you might find it useful is about to get teh best kits out of your doe you shouldnt breed her more than 2-3 times a year as she can get complications.... oh and after age 3 they do need to be retired else can die giving birth considering if they are speyed after no longer being bred frrom(to protect form uterine cancer which kills 85% over 3yrs)(and male netuered) they seem to love settling down as pets of the family especially as tehy are so much easier to litter train and can live anythign between 8 and 14 years!
any way just thought with your son being new to this a few helpful tips might come in handy.... please feel free to email me if i can be of further help.

but if you would rather report them thats cool to however i dont think there is much the rspca can do if they are not mistreating the animals(and while i feel constant breeding is creul and that small hutches are creul if they have food and water adn helter they may be tied by what they can do as breeders dont have to actualy conform to the standerd living space as they arent classed then as pets(sad loophole...but they dont know that!)

heres the email i would send

hello its good you want to seperate up the babies and mum and dad after thier litter as you must be aware mum can be impregnated immediatly afterwards(the birth) i dont know if you have seen but there are hundreds of rabbits in rescues(just see rabbit rehome for proof) and it seems some breeders are breeding irresponsibly... now im sure you and your son(as at age 7 you must have to do all the work as we all know how easily kids get bored) arent one of them but.

just thought id offer some advice iv learnt along the way....
rabbits have to be in 6x2x2ft hutches with a minimum run size of 6x6ft which sounds big but as they need as much excersise of a small dog(and you can be prosecuted for not keeping rabbtis correctly due to new animal welfare act)
a good diet will help the babies grow strong and to help them suffer less from problems when they grow up they need to be with mum until at least 8 weeeks but not after 12weeks the boys in case they cause more litters(and inbreeding is very bad)
also to veryfy the genetics(and save yourself hundreds of pounds in vet bills) you need to trace back at least 4 genreeations to get good bunnies.

hoemchecking these days seems to get harder i know as so many people want to give them away cheap and dont think about the conditions they are going to a fact sheet from the rwa is a good thing to give out as it has al lthe info on the two vaccinations they need and worming to protect from ec and housing and food(pellets of higher than 16% fibre and hay80% with fresh veg)

also thought you might find it useful is about to get teh best kits out of your doe you shouldnt breed her more than 2-3 times a year as she can get complications.... oh and after age 3 they do need to be retired else can die giving birth considering if they are speyed after no longer being bred frrom(to protect form uterine cancer which kills 85% over 3yrs)(and male netuered) they seem to love settling down as pets of the family especially as tehy are so much easier to litter train and can live anythign between 8 and 14 years!
any way just thought with your son being new to this a few helpful tips might come in handy.... please feel free to email me if i can be of further help.

Thank you! I am going to use this if that is okay? can I just ask please what the rwa is? thanks!

I would tell them you have one and can deliver, find out their address and report them to the RSPCA!

Totaly agree.

Jesus what is wrong with peole, the child is 7 and a a child and has no right to breed anything ffs :censored: Why do some aprents let children rule and do what they want!! :censored:

yeah thats fine... i just find that sometimes if you use the freindly approach and act like they should already be aware of all the stuff a rabbit needs they suddnly think twice and dont get so angry at the advice you are giving them.. anything is worth a try?!

yeah thats fine... i just find that sometimes if you use the freindly approach and act like they should already be aware of all the stuff a rabbit needs they suddnly think twice and dont get so angry at the advice you are giving them.. anything is worth a try?!

thank you and I do agree! My first thought was to email and say 'what are you doing?' followed by 'I will be around to collect them all from you (not that I have any room at the mo!) but I do think you are right! I haven't heard anything back yet ... not sure I will either but hopefully it might have done the trick :)

but if you would rather report them thats cool to however i dont think there is much the rspca can do if they are not mistreating the animals

That's not true any more, the 2007 Animal Welfare Act requires that animals are not kept in conditions likely to cause suffering - they don't need to actually be suffering any more. Of course the RSPCA lacks the resources/time/ability/knowledge to always act on it but they definitely are in some areas :)

Personally I would doubt whether someone who thinks it's ok to let their 7 year old breed bunnies has the cognitive ability, or the care, to understand a helpful email explaining why it's not a good idea :?

no, keep checking my email and nothing. Wondering now if I should send a 'i have a hutch' email from a different address and then report them ....

To be honest, i doubt it is actually true. I've seen these adverts everywhere on places that are not supposed to be advertised 'free' (preloved, other forums etc....) It just sounds like someone after a freebie cause they can't be bothered forking out. I doubt the 7 year old even exists. It happens a lot with reptiles i have seen. People pulling on the heart strings for handouts cause they can't be bothered paying out themselves

'My 6 year old son recently lost his burmese python and we are looking for another one with 8ft viv. Unfortunately we can't afford to pay anything!'

That was probably the best one i saw!!!

If it is true you are going the right way about handling it but i really doubt that it is. Have a look on preloved these adverts are everywhere and most use kids to win sympathy.

Back