• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying questions to ask your vet?

sticky_mc

New Kit
I'm sure I've read a checklist of questions to ask your vet about the way in which they carry out a spay (names of painkillers etc.)? Can anyone point me towards it please?

We've got a bonded pair (neutered buck and unspayed doe).

When I initially chatted to the vet about the op. he seemed keen to have her in on her own and suggested that she'll need to be kept on her own after the op. I said I was keen for them to come in together which the vet said would be ok but I'm a bit uncertain how soon we can put them back together.

We'd prefer to get them back together as soon as we get home so long as he doesn't bother her too much. We're hoping he'll be supportive and encouraging for her.

The buck seems placid and gentle with her and we're worried about them losing their bond. What's the worst that could happen if they are together straight after the op?

The op. is scheduled for Tuesday 13 Jan.

Any thoughts please?

Last edited:
Spelling of Spaying

I can't believe I spelt spay with an 'e'.

Thank goodness that posts can be corrected with an edit.

Last edited:
hi there to save the bond breaking down they should go in togehter and be kept togehter right up till op then as soon as she has come around she can go back in with him(even if unsteady on feet) this saves the bond breaking down and most buns recover better this way too.

pain relief should be metacam often administerd by injection adn lasts 24hours after that if you feel she needs more relief(some give it as standered) then you will need oral metacam to syringe her. she will take up to 10 days to fully recover and should be allowed to eat right up to the op and encouraged to eat again asap after tho it is normal for her to not want to... give ehr a bowl to drink from as an unwell bun will foten prefer this.

she eneds at least 3 nights inside and to be kept on cage rest her bedding should be shredded paper or towels soft and non bitty as you dont want things getting to the wound. she should be given a probiotic/gutstimulant post op too to get her tummy moving.
offer leaves and favourite treats including soaked pellets to get her munching agian soon.
stitches are often internal and dissolvable with a glue on the exteria to stop buns pulling at tehm however excessive licking can cause problems... if bun is pulling at stitches(try not to resort to lampshade) put a dog coat or jumper on the bun so they cant get to wound, while its healing.
iv had many girls spayed and have had no problems except not pooping for initial night but by nexxt morning the poops were tehre/....
oh and monitor bunny overnight for fist night as they cannot maintain their temperature and therefore need to be kept warmer and monitored frequently the first 24 hours is the critical time after op xxx

Back