• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bramble- new question

What would you do?

• Operate

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • PTS

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Im curious on peoples views, this is anonymous.

Brambles x rays show a lot of fluid in her abdomen that has leaked from a tumour/abscess etc, exactly what it is, they dont know.

The only way to know is surgery.
The fluid is very serious, and she is so high risk due to her weight, if she had not lost weight, you would not know anything was wrong, as she is so strong in herself and has a strong personality. There is a high risk she wont even survive the op, and the est for the op is £200 - £400. In my situation, what would you do?

Dont base it on money, base it on your gut instinct, she has fought so well so far.

I know this seems unethical, but itll help me, i believe in the long run, feel free to post why you chose an option, otherwise it is anonymous.

This is the thread on her whole story
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155467

Last edited:
Bless you Kris, I am so sorry you have to make this decision. Do what your instincts tell you it is right to do for the best. You have done so much for that poor bunny.

I posted what I think on the other thread but really Kris it is only you and your Vet who can make this hard decision

:cry:

I'm so sorry you've had to make your decision.
My train of thought is: Look how far she's come. She's had a life full of **** and now that she's had something good come her way, it has to end. I think she's a fighter and can pull through. Do you think she can do it? I know she deserves another chance at life, every bun does, but she has been through one hell of a lot.

What are the implications of her impaired liver function for the anaesthetic and longer term effect of the anaesthetic on her liver and subsequent health?

Would you be able to give consent to PTS but get them to have a look first - they be able to then open her up and see what's going on, but then have the consent to not wake her up again from there depending on what they find?

It's so hard to know what to do - I know from seeing her on Sunday that she seems alert and happy in herself, but she is obviously extremely poorly and would it just be prolonging the inevitable :?

as a vet student, reading the whole story and what the poor wee girly has been through, i would go for PTS. i know a lot of people go with the "but you'll say what if" argument, but too often i see weak, very sick animals go through surgery on that basis,only to die under GA, or shortly after, or during recovery, or have to be PTS due to failure of recovery. this way is ALWAYS far more traumatic for both the owner and the animal, as the PTS happens under emergency circumstances rather than calmly and quietly and as an informed decision. Obviously i havent examined her but it seems her chances are so slim it would be kinder to let her go gently and let her poor body rest. i think you have done an amazing job with her and no-one could fault you and you are to be highly commended for your dedication and effort. but i always think part of caring for the animal is knowing when to say "enough is enough". like Jane, i certainly wouldnt argue if you gave it a go and only you and your vet can know if this can work out, but thats my honest opinion. all the best xxx

This is so hard Kris, and i feel for you :( Only you know whats right... before you said she came bounding over and jumped on your lap when she saw you earlier... id have said pts, because shes been through so much and has been on a downhill slope :cry: But then theres the what if? route :cry:

Thinking of you hun, and whatever you do will be right for Bramble, i cant even imagine what your going through xXx

Would it be mean/unethical, to bring her home tomorrow, spend the whole day giving her the love and attention she craves, and then taking her back in the evening to have her pts? :cry:

Would it be mean/unethical, to bring her home tomorrow, spend the whole day giving her the love and attention she craves, and then taking her back in the evening to have her pts? :cry:

If she isnt in pain, although would the move upset her?

Could you go spend time with her at the Vets?

This is so sad...:cry: :cry:

ETA - i regret not having that one last cuddle with Bella :cry: :cry:

As long as she's not suffering I think that would be lovely - she could have a final day of love, happy memories and whatever she wants to eat, before drifting off for the final time.

It was what I wanted to do when my old cat Sooty was ready to go, but circumstances meant that wasn't possible. I still feel sad that he spent his last day on a drip in the vets and never came home again. I would have much preferred to be able to do what you suggest but he was too poorly by then :( It sounds as if Bramble has enough left to enjoy one last day of love :(

Awww kris *Hugs* Im sitting here with tears in my eyes, so im sure your crying hun. Im sure that would be fine hun if thats what you want xXx

:(:( I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision Kris. :cry: You have given Bramble every chance possible and I think you should bring her home and give her one last day for you both to cherish. I'm so sorry. :(

Most vets i know will allow an animal home for a last day etc, as long as they are stable. think that may be the best option all round. definately need to have some time with her alone either way.

I too thought the pts option was the best until I read about her bounding up to you :cry::cry::cry: Now I think differently, I didn't know she was still so bright and alert :cry::cry:

Only you and your vet know what to do Kris and I have to be honest and say that I have changed my opinion - if a bun is alert and eating and not in pain then I always let them wait until they tell me it's time - but I'm not sure that everyone else would agree with this :?

You know that most of my buns are compromised health and physically so I do what I can for them and if they fight to live and are happy then they stay.

I honestly don't know about the operation part as if it's a tumour then once opened up it will spread even quicker and the operation would weaken her so much.

Please give her a cuddle from me - she's been so brave and you have worked miracles with her - xxxx

Poor Bramble, it sounds like she has been through a lot :(

I had to make a similar decision just over a year ago. One of my rabbits had a mass in his abdomen that felt like a blockage and he wasn't responding to any treatment at all. I decided to go ahead with the op because I wanted to give him a chance even though it would cost me £300. When they opened him up his gut was a mess and he had peritonitis :cry: They managed to remove the damaged area and he survived the op but he died the next day :cry:

I have voted pts because I really regret putting my bun through the op and wish I had just let him go peacefully :( I do agree that there is no right or wrong decision though. You can only get peoples opinions and go with what you feel is best.

I think it is a lovely idea to bring her home for one last day and spend time with her if you decide to let her go.

ETA: I agree with jaypot that if she is still well within herself and not in pain then there is no need to pts straight away.

Last edited:
Bramble - hopefully i'll see you tomorrow, if i don't make sure mummy gives you tons of nose rubs from me.
You are an amazing animal and you don't deserve this outcome.
Your mummy saved you from the jaws of death and look how far you've come :love:
No longer in pain, forever free Bramble x x x x x x x

If she is bright and alert, and has fought well, I always think it'd be good to give her one last chance. However one of our cats was once ill and the vet was determinded to save her life, which ended up with her having the last few weeks of her life being unhappy :(

I hope whichever decision you make that she is happy, it's such a hard thing to do :(

i would try the op at teh end of he day as if the vet feels it wont be a success they can pts under the ga anyway. it would be one last chance and i think if bright adn alert and pain free give her the day to enjoy then around 4pm when dark take her in for teh op... at least you will know you tried everything. however it really is up to you and your vet you are the only people who know the chances of things with her xxxx

Back