• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to vet again re: abcess

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Sorrel's abcess (what's left of it, after it was removed 1-2 years ago) has remained stable for the last year.

She is on baytril and I flush to cavity out and apply manuka honey to it.

The vets want her in to review her treatment on saturday as she's been on the baytril so long and although it hasn't got worse, nor has it totally healed.

Is there anything you think I should ask/discuss. For example should we being looking at trying a different antibiotic, as I know some people have reported better results using abx other than baytril.

Just foraging for tips so i can do what's best for her. :)

Hi hun I would ask your vet to change ABX to ceporex as its much better at tissue penetration and keep on applying the manuka honey.Good Luck

I would suggest trying Ceporex before opting for Depocillin as Ceporex can be given orally safely and is generally regarded to be a lower risk antibiotic in buns than Depocillin, but with the same excellent tissue penetration properties.

Good Luck :wave:

My bunny has an abcess and we are doing anything possible not to operate as he's 9 yrs old and we're not sure he'd cope with GA, so we had him on baytril to start with and it seemed to halt the growth, so after about 3 months we swapped him onto Paediatric septrin as this is much more gentle on his stomach etc - he's been on this for about 3 months and this has also supressed the growth of the abcess. Worth mentioning to your vet.

My plan is that if it shows signs of changing we'll move to a different oral one (perhaps Ceporex), and only go to a pencillin based treetment by injection as a last resort - its good to keep this one in the bag just in case.

Last edited:
Hi - looking for some advice on tooth abscess please

Hi, I'm Jayne, I'm very new to the forum and am looking for some advice if any one can help.

Jasper, my bun, has been unable to eat hard food for 3 weeks so I have had to syringe feed him to keep him alive.

I suspected he had a dental problem so he went in for a dental but only 2 small spikes were found and dealt with. This did not cure the problem.

A week later, an abscess was found under his ear which was operated on and drained and has healed up very nicely though its early days and I am keeping an eye on it. Unfortunately this has not cured the problem of his being able to eat hard food, though he does now eat grated carrott which is an improvement.

On Friday he had an xray which didn't show up anything unusual but I am almost certain he has a tooth abscess but until we find the tooth, we cant operate on the abscess. My vet has told me there are some vets who have small dental plates that go inside the rabbit's mouth to give a more detailed view of the teeth (and I hope finding the abscess) and she is trying to find an expert in this field so he can be referred.

My questions, if anyone can help are: Can anyone recommend an expert in the Hertfordshire area and what do you think is the best antibotic for a tooth abscess.

Thanks in advance

Jayne & Jasper

Back