• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

head tilt or EC

ChloeLawless

Mama Doe
Taking our Paddy back to the vet tomorrow (hes going to see our usual vet who lily lovessssss!) as he is still quite unsteady on his feet..he isn't amazingly bad at all and is eating/pooing/weeing and playing with his toys so seems very happy in himself...just a little off balance so we're taking him to be checked by our rabbit savy and very friendly vet tomorrow.

i am carrying on his panacur in the time being, i heard 28 days may give him a better chance of fighting whatever it may be?

am i correct or barking up the wrong tree? :oops:

Does his head tilt then hun? xXx I think the panacur for 28 days is the right thing to do. Head tilt is caused by EC :)

Has he seen a vet yet?
It could be EC, but it could also be an inner ear infection, so it would also be good if he was on antibiotics as well as panancur.

Hi Chloe Wesley is being treated for suspected EC and it sounds very similar to the symptons Paddy is having. Best to get him checked and get him started on some treatment. Wesley in on baytril and 28 days panacur. He's still very unsteady and not eating what he would normally.

he head dosent "tilt" as it normally looks with the condition, but he is off balance and when he looks up his head seems to go completely vertical? its so hard to describe!

"drunk" is my best effort at the moment...

but he is active and happy :? confusing times.

I would suggest getting a culture in both ears because ear infections are not always visible. Normally ear infections are just that, ear infections, and head tilt is normally caused by those (people often deem it as EC but if the bun has active EC the EC normally lowers the immune system making them more prone to infections, such as ear infections that can cause head tilt so the head tilt would be due to an ear infection, caused by EC, but not EC, if that makes sense, but equally they can get ear infections and not have active EC).

I think I got all my punctuation wrong in that, sorry, but I hope you get what I mean.

Have they looked at other neurological possibilities?

I would suggest getting a culture in both ears because ear infections are not always visible. Normally ear infections are just that, ear infections, and head tilt is normally caused by those (people often deem it as EC but if the bun has active EC the EC normally lowers the immune system making them more prone to infections, such as ear infections that can cause head tilt so the head tilt would be due to an ear infection, caused by EC, but not EC, if that makes sense, but equally they can get ear infections and not have active EC).

I think I got all my punctuation wrong in that, sorry, but I hope you get what I mean.

Have they looked at other neurological possibilities?

thanks hun, so far all the vet gave him was 9 days panacur...i should have mentioned that in my first post. but she wasnt our usual vet and i dont think shes very rabbit savvy :roll:
i am hoping our regular vet'll sort him out tomorrow and check him over properly.

he head dosent "tilt" as it normally looks with the condition, but he is off balance and when he looks up his head seems to go completely vertical? its so hard to describe!

"drunk" is my best effort at the moment...

but he is active and happy :? confusing times.

Sounds strange :? I'd carry on with the panacur and ask the vet if she'll prescribe antibiotics... that way you cover the route of the inner ear infection.

Im glad hes seeing the bunny vet this time, its so annoying when they book you in with the wrong vet :evil: xXx

Maybe it might be worth seeing if you can get medication for if it is disorientation as opposed to physically losing co-ordination. There is something called Meclizine (And Jacks-Jane named another one on a different thread) that can stop them struggling with the disorientation associated with head tilt, so maybe that might be worth a shot. If, however, it is a neurological issue as opposed to something like an ear infection, then that probably won't make much difference. Might be worth a shot though.

Has he had his ears checked for ear mites? Sometimes an extreme case can trigger ear problems too.

Sounds strange :? I'd carry on with the panacur and ask the vet if she'll prescribe antibiotics... that way you cover the route of the inner ear infection.

Im glad hes seeing the bunny vet this time, its so annoying when they book you in with the wrong vet :evil: xXx

arghh i know it really is, this woman did one of lilys post op checks and i left thinking she was a nurse and rang up to complain and they told me she was a vet, i couldnt believe it :lol: shes so dopey!

I would continue the panacur on for 6 weeks....thats what some recommend, and i would go for that.

Deffo get baytril incase its an ear infection

Vibes that bunster gets on ok

I would suggest getting an anti biotic that is stronger than Baytril and less used and abused (as in not given for anything and everything so that it is becoming ineffective). If you get a culture, that should help you identify what antibiotic to use.

Maybe it might be worth seeing if you can get medication for if it is disorientation as opposed to physically losing co-ordination. There is something called Meclizine (And Jacks-Jane named another one on a different thread) that can stop them struggling with the disorientation associated with head tilt, so maybe that might be worth a shot. If, however, it is a neurological issue as opposed to something like an ear infection, then that probably won't make much difference. Might be worth a shot though.

Has he had his ears checked for ear mites? Sometimes an extreme case can trigger ear problems too.

The other anti-nausea/vertigo drug is Stemetil.

Back