• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lapizole for EC?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Wanted to get Panacur for the rabbits as their 9-day worming. The veterinary nurse told me that Panacur is not really effective and that Lapizole is better for getting rid of EC. You do a 28-day course, without missing a single day and it protects them for the rest of their life. Is this true, and is it worth it? My rabbits hated the syringe put in their mouth so I don't they'll put up with this for 28 days. So I'm thinking against it.

Hiya

Wanted to get Panacur for the rabbits as their 9-day worming. The veterinary nurse told me that Panacur is not really effective and that Lapizole is better for getting rid of EC. You do a 28-day course, without missing a single day and it protects them for the rest of their life. Is this true, and is it worth it? My rabbits hated the syringe put in their mouth so I don't they'll put up with this for 28 days. So I'm thinking against it.

Lapizole contains exactly the same active ingredient as Panacur ie Fenbendazole.
Its just made by a different company.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Genitrix_Ltd/Lapizole/-43598.html

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Int...ur_Rabbit___18_75_ACU-_Oral_Paste/-42084.html

A 28 day course of either Panacur or Lapizole will not 'protect a Rabbit from EC for life'

Thank you for confirming that. These vets don't know what on earth they are talking about. They told me that Stronghold (for Dogs) covers all fleas and worms, when in fact, it doesn't cover tapeworms or hookworms, so we now need to get another worming treatment for my dog to treat those. :?

And is it actually useful to worm them with Panacur/Lapizole for 9 days every few months?

The current advice is to treat with a 9 day course of Fenbendazole 2-4 times a year :)
The 28 day course is given in cases of 'active' EC- ie a Bun presenting with clinical symptoms.

I find it incredibly scary that vets don't look past the marketing blurb around Lapizole and Panacur - it doesn't take much research to discover that they are the same. We should be able to rely on our vets to work that out for us. :(

Have to echo what Jane has already said.

Panacure and Lapizole are exactly the same. Lapizole is marketed to the humans as being easier to administer that's all. Tastes of aniseed etc etc.

I don't find a problem administering Panacur so I am not attracted by the pump dispenser that Lapizole has.

You can't get rid of EC; you can head off an attack by worming regularly (or so it is thought currently) but as an awful lot of rabbits are said to carry it, with only a relatively small number going on to have full blown clinical symptoms, you shouldn't need to dose for 28 days, unless you buns has a full blown attack of EC.

Even then, Panacur/Lapizole doesn't necessarily save the animal. I have known some animals that have been so damaged by the parasite that they remain 'ill' despite treatment. Most notably nerve damage.

Lapizole is marketed to the humans as being easier to administer that's all. Tastes of aniseed etc etc.

not if you have a 3kg bunny that hates being syringed & you have to pump 6 of the blooming things into him everyday. Give me 2 grads of pancur on a spring green leaf any day!!!!! Panacur every time!

Last edited:
not if you have a 3kg bunny that hates being syringed & you have to pump 6 of the blooming things into him everyday. Give me 2 grads or pancur on a spring green leaf any day!!!!! Panacur every time!

:lol::lol:

Oooh I can imagine. I have had to use Lapizole (free samples at my previous rescue) and boy after the first pump they knew what was coming and that was the end of that!

Me too, Panacur every time!

Back