• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depressed Rabbits

Hi, I bought a 6 month old rabbit from a breeder 4 days ago and I thought all was going well. He is eating and drinking and has got the hang on of his litter tray already. The problem is he just sits in his cage, doesnt play with any toys and looks scared. He will happily be cuddled but as soon as I let him onto the floor to play he just jumps back into his cage, sits there and looks depressed. I don't know how much space outside of his cage he was previously given or if he ever had access to toys but I'm worried he is stressed in his new home? Will he settle in given time and is there anything I can do to make him more settled?

he will settle. One of mine was like this and they only way she came out of her shell was when she was bonded with a neutered male.

I'm guessing its just going to take time? I have asked our vet about having him neutered as I was planning on having him done. The vet said that unless he is kept with other rabbits then they are best left as they are, as obviously there are risks associated with a general anaesthetic.

TBH I would find another vet comfortable with doing a neuter. Once he gets used to you he may become very territorial and very frustrated with all those hormones and a neuter will calm him down. Has he started spraying yet ? you will have that to look forward to if you don't get him done :lol::lol:

Besides if you get him done you may consider getting him a bunny friend :love:

Hello :wave:

It will take time. He is only a baby and will no doubt be scared and quite confused. Is he inside? Try taking time to bond with him. Lie on the floor with some tasty treats and let him explore. A friend will help as bunnies are sociable animals so think about getting him done when he's a bit older. Not sure what age is best but if you do search on here lots of info will come up.

Also to be on the safe side make sure he's not poorly...is he eating ok? pooing? weeing? All these are tell tale signs of a poorly bun and I'm afraid bunnies are very delicate.

Hope this helps and do post more questions and do searches as this really is a great forum with lots of info. :D

I'm guessing its just going to take time? I have asked our vet about having him neutered as I was planning on having him done. The vet said that unless he is kept with other rabbits then they are best left as they are, as obviously there are risks associated with a general anaesthetic.

my old vet said the same thing, now he is to old to neuter and i know he would be so much happier if he was neutered!!

Thanks for all your responses. He seems fine in every other way, he is eating and drinking and I have managed to litter train him in the short time I have had him and that all seems fine. Nice hard droppings etc. He will happily take a bit of carrot or sprout off me when he is outside his cage but then he just hops back into his cage at his first opportunity and sit there. He is an indoor rabbit with a nice big room and cage all to himself. The cage is on the floor with a ramp so I have been opening it and been trying to give him the chance to come out of his own accord but he wont. I can pick him up easily and he will let me put him on his back and likes his ears tickled. He just doesnt seem to want to play and just sits and stares. Im worried about getting him neutered and not sure about getting him a play mate as I want him to interact with me rather than another rabbit?

Boy bunnies can spray you, and hit the target from 3 feet away :roll:

Believe me I know :lol::lol:

If you buy rabbit, you are encouraging those breeder to breed more bun as a supply. This is the condition that these rescue animals lives in

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

So when you buy a bun, you are doing this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

There is also a lot of problems w/ breeder's rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification. My bridge bun Goofball die w/
numerous health problem, including having bone cancer at age just less than 2.

you could get some flower remedies. pop a few drops into the water- won't do any other buns any harm. Or you can pop a couple of drops just on top of his head for eg as it will get absorbed by skin.

If you'd like to know more I can recommend some for you...

my old vet said the same thing, now he is to old to neuter and i know he would be so much happier if he was neutered!!

how old do you class as too old? i have had age 9 rabbits speyed.. and an age 6 boy done and a 7 year old and several 3 adn 4 yr old males and females i dont think there really is a limit it geos by the vets competancy and teh helath of teh rabbti in question x

Charlie was like this when I got him, he just sat in one corner of his run, all day, and did nothing.

He was neutered, and got a girly, now he sits all day in the hay basket!! But at least he looks contented and happy now, rather than withdrawn.

Sophie is becoming more and more like this each day :( I got her when she was 8 weeks old and I have had her for about 3 months. She is only just coming out of her shell. Today she did an almightly binky, and I found her sprawlled out under the radiator, and she didn't move, so I know the work is paying off.

I can't wait to see how she is with her husbun when he arrives :D:D:love::p

Back