• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harness's Yay or Nay?? Advice needed

Michelle666

Mama Doe
Ive got 2 Conti Giants, and now im thinking "AHHH! How am i going to get them to the vets?" Ive concidered buying Giants Harnesses from a Bunny supplies website which i found on here. It would only be a short journey, and i wouldnt use them other than for going to the vets.

What do people think? or are there any other cheap suggestions, am a little broke at the mo after xmas and all!

poppet has a harness for going outside for walks in winter.
he adores it :)
I would recommend them tbh

I wouldnt, there will be dogs and cats at the vets which will frighten them and may lunge at them (in the case of dogs) also i know of people using harnesses whos buns have got frightened and tried to bolt, only for them to get caught and really hurt in the harness. How about a dog crate?

Ahh i know about the dogs thing...my Vet has always said, if im coming down then to call in advance and they will make sure all dogs go in another waiting room, as they have two. So there wont be any punch ups!!

yeah think you'd be better try to get a good carrying case for them or one of those shoulder bags that are designed for dogs etc.

a shoulder bag :shock: id break my back... ! Have spotted a couple of XL Dog Crates rather cheap on ebay, may start to have a happy bidding afternoon!!!

Do you mean to walk your rabbits down the street to the vets in the same way someone would walk a dog? If so then no that’s not a good idea. A rabbit won’t just follow you like a dog would, they will be frightened and won’t know what to do especially in a street where everything is going to be loud and scary for a bunny and there are loads of things that could happen, like what if someone walked round the corner with a dog on a lead and got close enough before you noticed because you were looking behind you trying to get the rabbits to walk in the right direction or someone isn’t watching where they are going and steps on them or walks into them. Its so not worth the risk

The way rabbit harnesses should be used isn’t to walk the rabbit but to keep hold of them when they are free ranging say in a garden that is not secure, the owner would need to follow the rabbit about not the other way round. It would be very dangerous to use a lead or harness to try and persuade a rabbit to go a certain way or follow you

I think the best thing to do is buy a secure pet carrier for vet visits, and if it’s too big to carry have someone drive you or get a taxi :) Lots of taxi’s take pets and if it’s a short journey it shouldn’t cost too much

No. I was thinking of putting them on the lead, picking them up (i guess not both at the same time LOL) and then popping them in the car with the help of the OH driving me to the vets. Then carrying them in. I would just be worried if they escaped without a harness

No. I was thinking of putting them on the lead, picking them up (i guess not both at the same time LOL) and then popping them in the car with the help of the OH driving me to the vets. Then carrying them in. I would just be worried if they escaped without a harness

Oh I just had visions of you actually walking them the whole way there :oops: :lol: Sorry :oops:

I use a large dog carrier for my 2 big buns :) It wasnt that expensive either :) Its just extra heavy :lol: xXx

I think its a good idea to have a harness and get them used to it, but for the vets they need some form of cage. even with 2 waiting rooms, as we have at work, its not flawless and the strong smells at a vets (esp cats and dogs) could really scare them. being bunnies, they'd probably appreciate some form of hiding space. also, if they panic on the lead, as my old bun did once or twice, they go a bit psycho and could hurt themselves or get free. i am sure i have seen proper carts with wheels for dog crates somewhere...that would be the best idea i think.

Back