• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depressed Rabbit?

Hi, I bought a 6 month old rabbit from a breeder 4 days ago and I thought all was going well. He is eating and drinking and has got the hang on of his litter tray already. The problem is he just sits in his cage, doesnt play with any toys and looks scared. He will happily be cuddled but as soon as I let him onto the floor to play he just jumps back into his cage, sits there and looks depressed. I don't know how much space outside of his cage he was previously given or if he ever had access to toys but I'm worried he is stressed in his new home? Will he settle in given time and is there anything I can do to make him more settled?

Hiya :wave:

He needs a friend ! Rabbits are very sociable and become depressed when alone. My suggestion is to get him neutered and contact a rescue in your area - they will be able to help you pick the right match for you and help with the bonding. x

hi,i would guess that he is going to need some time to adjust.the first 6 months of his life have possibly been quite solitary with very little play time or handling.i hope i am wrong but hopefully with time+your love he will become more confident.goodluck:wave:

Success! Tonight we decided to lift the lid off his cage and within seconds he cautiously hopped out. Within the hour he was running around the room and jumping in and out at his leisure! He seemed like a different rabbit! We be getting him neutered as soon as I have given him time to settle in to his new home and I have found a reputable exotic vet. Any recommendations in the south wales area?

My Bun was very shy and nervous at first, after he was neutered he was worse for a week or so because he was moping. But it was deffo for the best! He wud hump everything and pee on the sofas. Post neutering he never once humped things or sprayed. Now he thinks he owns everything in the flat ^.^. It took about 3 months for kirby to come out of his shell fully. He used to always freak out at being lifted and lately hes been a wee star. Its so rewarding to see them begin to trust you. :)

Back