• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Did I do a bad thing...

sam2607

New Kit
Hey everyone,

I finally gave in and brought my elderly rabbit in last night. She's about 7 and really showing her age.

Yesterday morning the poor love was shivering despite the mass amount of hay - I mean loads - and the snugglesafe.

So last night sorted her out a nice snug box and let her stay in the spare bedroom. I did turn the radiator off and left the window open on the vent so that it was cooler than the rest of the house!

Was that a bad thing to do? She's gone back outside this morning with her snugglesafe and hay but I don't want her to get a cold... is it ok as a one off? It was -7 on Monday night and the local weather threatened -10 last night.

Sam

Hm, better be safe than sorry and bring her in until it's warm enough in the spring. Bless her, musn't be nice being freezing :(
I think you did the right thing bringing her in, just keep her in.

I'd personally bring her indoors permanently if she's suffering in the cold weather.

You can buy indoor cages/ dog crates / puppy pens really cheaply

I'd personally bring her indoors permanently if she's suffering in the cold weather.

You can buy indoor cages/ dog crates / puppy pens really cheaply

i agree - lots of temp changes are bad. - im stuggling with the tempation to bring my two in.- ive managed to move them into the shed as a happy medium as hubby is dead set against having them indoors!

they are such a wory arent they!

As a 'one off' I would say it was OK but it isn't normal for a bunny to be shivering, even in this weather, which tells me she isn't coping with the cold at all.
For that reason alone I would say she needs to spend the rest of this winter inside in the warm.

i agree - lots of temp changes are bad. - im stuggling with the tempation to bring my two in.- ive managed to move them into the shed as a happy medium as hubby is dead set against having them indoors!

they are such a wory arent they!
husbands ey?my husband took some getting used to too when we moved him in with us:lol:i was lucky that i'd had housebuns for years when i met my husband so he had no choice,but,i think it took him a while to get used to sharing his duvet with the fuzzbutts-now tho he loves them just as much as me+I had to stop HIM coming home with more than the hay last time we stocked up at the pet shop:shock:!!!

Back