• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit hutch and run combo's...help!!

Eveyk22

Warren Scout
Hiya :wave:

I need to get a new hutch and run combo for dolce but I'm confused at the minimum requirements.

Does anyone know of any good shops where I could go and have a look at some? Or any good websites. I have a budget of £150 to £200 to spend.

Thanks

The minimum requirements are 6ftx2ft with daily access to a large run.
I have a 6x2ft hutch with attatched run combo for my guinea pigs (the run is 6.5ft x 3 ft, but i feel the run is too small for any bunster.
What is the accomodation your bun is living in at the moment.
I'd suggest getting him a shed which is much better value for money and then punching in a cat flap and building a run outside :)

Yep I second that. A shed or wendy house is ideal as they will have plenty of room and you can also add levels for extra space and exploring. For the price you are looking for you could afford to do this if you shop around. A run attached to this would be perfect :D

If they are small rabbits then 6ft x 2ft x 2ft would be fine with a 6ft x 6ft run attached. If you have the option I would be inclined to get a bigger run rather than hutch because they will spend most time in the run.

Pets at home sell some large hutches these days but their runs are all tiny :(

Here are a couple of 6ft hutches
http://www.rehutches.com/singlehutch06.htm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-MASIVE-Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-Hutch-Run-Under-Combo_W0QQitemZ260296843260QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item260296843260&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Getting 6ft runs is more of a problem. I'm going to use aviary panels to build mine, they usually come in 6ft x 3ft size so are ideal for runs.

Just to add to Tim0h's post, The Ryedale hutch may seem expensive, but they're such fabulous quality and will last a life time whereas a cheapo hutch you'd need to replace every 2-3 years.

I've never seen the two together so I wouldn't know - has anyone got both?

Certainly I am really pleased with my Ryedale (as I would expect to be having paid £300 :lol:) the wood is thick, there aren't any gaps, holes or misfits, it is extremely sturdy and the roofing felt is excellent quality. From what I've heard Dawsons is the same, but like I say I've never seen a Dawsons in the flesh so can't really compare directly.

can anyone show how they converted their shed?

I only have a picture of mine from the outside...

rabbitary.gif

I have a wendy house with 2 runs attached (one at side and one at front) and a lockable cat flap into the run.

Much better to clean out and spend time with the buns, especially in this weather.

Here is my bun's accomodation.
TAHutch006.jpg

12.5ftx6.5ft
That was when it was empty.
It's filled with a chair, hay bale, tunnels, dig box, carboard boxes, toys and logs.
As you can imagine buns love it :p

Thanks for your replys and suggestions, they are reallt appreciated. I was looking at this one:
http://www.sure-pets.co.uk/products/product_info.php?cPath=25_82_335&products_id=2628
What do people think?

There's been a few threads about these recently - the general consensus seems to be that they're not as big as they look, that the 'indoor' area is too small to allow buns to spend time in the warmth and comfort free from draughts and a cold floor; also it gives the perception of being a hutch and run together, but in fact its footprint is only 6*3 so not much bigger than a 6*2 hutch.

If your budget is limited to £150-£200 then I think your best bet would be a happyhutch and run combo or a shed/playhouse conversion.

Back