• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental bun with runny nose

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
My Abby's nose has started to run when she needs a dental (currently once a fortnight :( ). The discharge is clear and watery.

Does anybody else have a dental bun who's nose runs? And why does it happen? :?

Fudge is one of my dental buns and she occasionally gets a runny nose! Never knew it could be due to tooth roots :shock: hope she will be fine

If it's root related, why does it only happen when she needs a dental?

Well I am not sure but I think it is to do with how there will be more direct pressure from the elongated roots if the crowns of the teeth are long/spurring :?
I am guessing the Bun's occlusion would change as the crowns lengthen/spur :?

With my effected Buns having the crowns burred down to gum level appears to help a lot and reduces the rate of progression of tooth root elongation.
I am no expert, its just what I have found with the Dental Buns in my care :)

Well I am not sure but I think it is to do with how there will be more direct pressure from the elongated roots if the crowns of the teeth are long/spurring :?
I am guessing the Bun's occlusion would change as the crowns lengthen/spur :?

Yes, that would make sense

With my effected Buns having the crowns burred down to gum level appears to help a lot and reduces the rate of progression of tooth root elongation.

Unfortunately I can't have her teeth burred down too far because of the small time scale between dentals. She's usually done conscious, but occasionally has a GA so that the teeth can be ground right back...although we've found that she still needs doing after 2 weeks even with a full dental under GA...and I can't put her through that every 2 weeks :(

It's a worry, especially since my other dental buns only need doing every few months, even Dixie who's got incisor maloclusion (weirdly Abby's incisors are perfect :shock: ).

Thats such a short distance 2 weeks :shock::shock:
I got fudge done on the 17th of dec and will be taking her on the 20th of this month! when fudge has a runny nose its not before her dental its just the odd occasional day maybe one every 2 months or something!!!!

Abby had a head x-ray yesterday to see whether her problems are caused by tooth roots. Surprisingly, her tooth roots look pretty normal (although the vet thought they might be very slightly elongated) and there was no sign of infection.

The vet said that the best we can hope for is that the problem teeth become loose and can be easily removed, but I'd rather she had dentals every fortnight than that alternative! :shock: :roll:

So...we are back to square one re. the cause of Abby's dental problems.

Back