• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freezing cold! Few questions?

MellyRabiit

Alpha Buck
Right im just a panicker I think, but isnt it so bloody cold..

Decided to go down to the buns hutches last night at 11pm to give them more hay and straw, yes more lol..

There hutches are full up, but I felt there little bodies and they felt so cold :(.. Are there any ways to keep them warm apart from straw and hay?

Also when I woke up this morning the water bottles were frozen even though the tops of their hutches were covered with a carpet..

What can I do to prevent this, I heard PAH sell a thermo cover, any ideas how much?

Or is there a better way to prevent this.

I heard there is something you can put in the water to stop it freezing, but would this harm the buns.

All of your tricks etc would be helpful, so I can stop worrying about finding a frozen bun in the mornings :oops:

My bunnys live outdoors and i just make sure they have lots of hay and one hutch has a hutch cover the other i cover with plastic carpet protector. Im sure i read somewhere that if a rabbits ears are cold then its body is doing the right job!
Also they get used to the temperatures better than us as they have had time to adapt and get there winter coat! I think some people put heat pads in desighned for rabbits! i have never used anything like that so dont know! hugs xx

Warm bricks. Heat housebricks in oven for long time on low heat (50 degrees for about 2 hours or 100 degrees for an hour) - take out CAREFULLY - wrap in tea-towels and place in hutch. Brick gives out warm heat for hours. Put one next to a waterbowl and the other in the hay where they usually sleep.

Did us a treat last night - minus 7 and no waterbowls frozen. By the way ceramic bowls freeze more slowly than metal water bowls as they do not conduct heat as quickly.

Try this in addition to waterbottles if that is what you usually use.

I use a sock, and it works fine to stop the water from freezing in the bottle, I have been worried about my two not being warm enough, but they always sit out in the run instead of inside their hutch, day and night. I guess if mine were cold they would go in????

Back