• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm having a dilemma...

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
Ok, what does everyone think...I have a bonded pair outside, and have very recently rescued an amazing little fella who has been inside until now. I am leaving the contry for 5 weeks in 2 1/2 weeks time.

I was planning on attempting to bond all three together as soon as the puppy pen arrives, that way single bunny will have a lot more room to run about, and have company. Also I was concerned about the flat sitter transferring the scent to the bonded couple and setting them off fighting somehow in my absence!

I have to bring them all inside while I bond them...will this make it too much of a shock to go go back out once the outside buns have acclimatized to inside, and can I encourage the inside one to develop a winter coat. If bonding works there will be three furry bodies to cuddle up, and I can further mummify the hutch/enclosure with sheets of wood, polystyrene sheets, duvets, tarpaulin, hay...new boy is about 1 and a half and is a little ball of muscle and energy....

Or should I keep newboy in the puppy pen, alone and with not that much space to jump about :cry: until I get back? I know it was not the best time to get the little fella, but I do feel he is better with me than with the guy who picked him up with one hand by his skin!

What should I do??

Last edited:
If the bun has been inside, i would NOT put it out now, it will be far too cold and could get really poorly.

I would hold off until you can get sorted.

:wave:

Ohh, someone else up late pondering rabbit problems...:wave:

Ok, so if I keep Harvey inside, should I bring the other two as well to keep him company, even tho it's in a smaller area? I'm not sure about this option as Bernie and Al have a relatively large and exciting area to run and jump about in outside...

If I keep Chirpy Harvey in the puppy pen, How can I make sure he has an ultimatly exciting space to try and stop him getting bored?

Ideas so far...I have a noisy house cat who will amuse him from afar, I could set a radio on a timer...I have hay feeder cages things to dangle from the ceiling, A wooden den thing, a towel...jingly toys, a half chewed wicker basket. The flat sitter could bring in hay from the other two for him to smell... toilet roll tubes...umm....That's a busy puppy pen.

can you bring the others in and give them a specific room to play in that your flat sitter wont be using? e.g. dining room/spare bathroom/utility room? That would probably be best as long as the buns are happy together. I to would not put him outdoors now as it is far to cold.

Ohh, someone else up late pondering rabbit problems...:wave:

Ok, so if I keep Harvey inside, should I bring the other two as well to keep him company, even tho it's in a smaller area? I'm not sure about this option as Bernie and Al have a relatively large and exciting area to run and jump about in outside...

If I keep Chirpy Harvey in the puppy pen, How can I make sure he has an ultimatly exciting space to try and stop him getting bored?

Ideas so far...I have a noisy house cat who will amuse him from afar, I could set a radio on a timer...I have hay feeder cages things to dangle from the ceiling, A wooden den thing, a towel...jingly toys, a half chewed wicker basket. The flat sitter could bring in hay from the other two for him to smell... toilet roll tubes...umm....That's a busy puppy pen.

Sounds like he has lots to play with as it is.
Lots of things to chew on. Hay feed and water.

Who is looking after your buns while your away, ie feeding them etc.

If your planning on bonding them when you get back, I would leave the bunnies how they are.

We have four buns outside and one little fella indoors at the moment.

When it gets warmer.. ie spring, he will be bonded with one of the pairs. But until then he cant go outside.

No, I live in a small rented flat, with no spare rooms. I Have just been to the shops and bought all the toys people have recommended on here. Unfortunately I just saw the pen I have ordered and it's a lot smaller than I thought, so I'm just going to have to be inventive about adding things to make more space. As long as he's enclosed he can have a large area. I'm just scanning the forum for boredom busting ideas. :)

How big is it out of interest?

Your bun should be able to hop three times over to the left or right in order for it to be big enough.

If its only small, less toys is more, as he will prefer more space to run back and forth.

Will he come out of the cage at all?

My indoor bun comes out for atleast 2 hours a day. Sometimes more.

Thanks all for your replies.

The pen that is not yet here is this one:

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Trixie-Trun-Puppy-Pen--trun-enclosure---dogs

and the bit I can attach is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOG-CAGE_W0QQitemZ110333795509 and is 76cm long by 60cm tall x 52cm wide.

A variety of people are staying. I'm still trying to finalize the details and making sure everyone knows when and what they're doing. Got my printer working to print out info, schedules and everyone's no. It's all rather complicated. One of my friends was supposed to be moving in but she has suddenly decided not to, which has left me in the doo doo!!

So the people who are staying will not be letting him out to rome about. Poor ******. But they will be swapping toys feeding watering etc.

I haven't put my animals into boarding because I have a brain damaged/deaf/partially sighted house cat who must stay in the flat, with a sitter, my outside buns will be fine...maybe I should board Harvey somewhere...that might be a plan.

Well the puppy pen finally arrived, and it's microscopic! No good for anything! Don't know what size puppy you could fit in that! I was planning to bond the 3 together in it when i get back.. oh well. Just as well I have already constructed bunny mansion no 2, the indoor version for Harvey. :)

Back