• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what should i expect after an alteration?

stevesdad

New Kit
i dont really know what to expect from steve after his neutering - hes been very very quiet and he hasnt eaten very much at all, just a nibble here and there of a few things. hes been drinking water though, not much either but still a bit. hes usually such an outgoing bunny but hes barely moved since coming back and sometimes nips me when i try to stroke his head, he almost looks sad or in pain. ive tried to tempt him with all his favourite treats with no avail and he came back at about 6 30pm on monday. poor steve, is he going to be ok?

When Charlie was done he seemed a bit annoyed for a few days...he refused to move at first. After a day or two he was okay though

i dont really know what to expect from steve after his neutering - hes been very very quiet and he hasnt eaten very much at all, just a nibble here and there of a few things. hes been drinking water though, not much either but still a bit. hes usually such an outgoing bunny but hes barely moved since coming back and sometimes nips me when i try to stroke his head, he almost looks sad or in pain. ive tried to tempt him with all his favourite treats with no avail and he came back at about 6 30pm on monday. poor steve, is he going to be ok?
Sorry to hear your bunny is sad, I had two neutered yesterday, a buck and a doe, the Buck is back to himself now, back with his girlfriend, the doe is only just acting normal.
Have you checked Steve down below? Try putting a bowl of water in for him or soak a carrot in water.

I'm having the same problem. Harvey was done today, and he has hardly eaten since he got back. I have to say your fella should be looking better I think. I would take him to the vets tomorrow morn if he is still looking bad. My vet advised me to make sure he is passing poos, it shows there's something going through.

They cannot regulate their body temp for a few days apparently, so make sure he's nice and cozy.

I've just spent the last 20 mins picking the peas out of the rubbish food he's on as it's the only thing he'll eat!

In the past I have syringe fed the recommended mixture of banana, pineapple juice and Biolapsis mix and that's worked very well to get their gut moving again. If you're worried I would ring your vet for advice, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Hope he looks better in the morning :(

I just checked on my bun and his ears were very cold, so i turned the heating up and snuggled him into my dressing gown. Within about 3 mins he woke up, hopped into his cage and had a good nibble of some broccoli. After a few strokes and a little chomp his ears are warm, and he's having a groom. I've littered his cage with potential yummy things to eat, with multiple choices of water, and cuddly spots to sleep. Now it's bed time for me.

Hope everyone has a good night's sleep.

it really depends on the bunny on how they take to it, some bunnies make a fast recovery and are back to normal, i have to say that when ted got done she was full of beans after it she was so happy and free, where petal took to sulking about, just make sure he's warm, pooing, peeing and eating and all will be grand.

Back